'Reiksguard' – Richard Williams (Black Library)


If you were round these parts about three weeks ago (and where did those three weeks go? It's all been a bit of a blur here) you'd have seen that 'Reiksguard' was one of the books that I picked up in Ramsgate, took to the nearest pub and drank beer until I'd finished it. The Old World may be a thing of the past (although if and when Games Workshop release the new 'Warhammer Fantasy Battle' game...) but I will take any chance to pay it a visit and that's just what I did here; it just took me a while to get round to writing about it here (like I said, the last few weeks have been a blur..) I got there eventually though :o) Quick thoughts are the order of the day once again I'm afraid; bear with me, one day I'll have the time and energy for something a little longer. Right now though, lets talk 'Reiksguard'.

The Reiksguard knights are entrusted with the sacred duty of the Emperor's protection from foes within and without. Under the command of Marshal Kurt Helborg, the Reiksguard live and breathe their code of loyalty, courage, strength and honour. But in the midst of a ruinous war, the young knight Delmar von Reinhardt discovers that this most venerated order hides deadly secrets. Battling an unholy alliance of a goblin warlord and an ogre tyrant, Delmar must unearth the truth no matter which noble knight he should find at its heart.

It was raining outside but while I was reading 'Reiksguard', I hardly noticed. The only thing that brought me back into the real world was realising that I'd finished my pint ;o) 'Reiksguard' was just the read that I needed that day, nothing too taxing but plenty going on and a strong plot holding it all together.

Having said that though, it was difficult to get away from the feeling that 'Reiksguard' was an advert hiding in plain sight. Look at the Reiksguard and how awesome they are at dealing with the goblins and ogres! Just think what a detachment of these could do for your army... ;o) If I was Games Workshop, I'd probably do exactly the same thing to be fair, the audience is right there and ready to have cool models sold to them. Williams does neatly sidestep the worst excesses of this though. Seeing how the Reiksguard functions, through Delmar's eyes turns what is essentially 'game lore' into touching moments of a young man trying to connect with his father and when you add the other layers of plot to the mix... Well, the 'advert feeling' is still there but well buried under what is a very engaging book. There is plenty to ponder in the plot and watching Delmar negotiate this new world gives us a character whom it's very easy to root for. Is there nothing in the worlds of Warhammer that isn't touched by the darkness? Not in 'Reiksguard' there isn't and Williams had me second guessing myself for large chunks of the book. Like I said, very engaging.

And when things start to slow down a bit...? Well, that's the best time to throw in some pitched battles that stir the blood and if you're anything like me, will give you a new respect for the humble goblin. They may not look like much but given the right treatment they are a match for anyone, even the Emperor's finest. This makes for several moments where you really feel like it could go either way (even though you know that the Reiksguard will win, or will they?) and that is never a bad thing.

I ended up having a lot of fun reading 'Reiksguard', the perfect 'pub read' while it's tipping it down outside. I have come away from it wanting Games Workshop to get a move on and release 'Warhammer Fantasy Battle' though which isn't a bad thing but even so, damn you Games Workshop... ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.