'Doctor Who: The School of Death' – Robbie Morrison, Rachel Stott, Ivan Nunes, Marcio Menys (Titan Comics)


Did I tell you that I'm having a bit of a tidy up of all my books? Didn't I...? Well, that's what I'm doing in between all the other stuff that I need to do; taking some books to the charity shops but boxing a whole load of others (that I do want to read but can't see it happening anytime soon) in an attempt to make my place look less like the basement of a second hand book shop. Which isn't a bad thing but anyway...

The good thing about all this is turning up books that I'd bought ages ago and then gone and forgotten about; books like 'The School of Death' for example. I bought this book at the Hilly Fields Fair, back in July, and despite my best intentions... Well, it's November and I'm only just getting to it. Better late than never I guess ;o)

While the Doctor makes 'friends' on an orbital space station, Clara discovers a deadly, millennia-old conspiracy when one of her teacher friends goes missing at a prestigious Scottish school – and unravelling it could spell her doom...

The last time I picked up a 'Doctor Who' comic book... It wasn't the book's fault at all but I did jump in at the fifth volume of the Tenth Doctor's continued adventures. That's exactly what happens when you grab a handful of comics at a summer fair, it comes with the territory ;o) 'The School of Death' was part of that handful of comics so I was wondering what I'd let myself in for but luckily, I didn't have to worry and neither will you if you pick this book up. There are three stories here but they all appear in their entirety so no worries about filling in the gaps.

The titular 'School of Death' takes up most of the book and sees the return of an old enemy from the era of 'Classic Doctor Who', albeit in a more streamlined and deadly form. It also plays heavily on that old trope of 'there's more to this school than meets the eye' with a school where, you know... It's not a bad story all in all with a decent mystery exploding into life under the eyes of the Doctor who seems to have it all under control without even trying. And I didn't like that, not here. Not that I've got anything against the Doctor whipping something out of thin air but to do it loads in just the one story isn't cool. And it's a shame as the setting promised better; it was very creepy and almost Lovecraftian until you realise who the returning foe is and then it's still a case of 'wow, this is cool'.

Damned if I could find out what the story featuring the Boneless was called but I think I enjoyed it more than 'The School of Death'. This story just comes along, does it's thing and then wanders off without any messing about. It's an approach that not only emphasises the creepiness about the Boneless but also lets you ponder on whether the Doctor is actually breaking the fourth wall or if it's just part of the story. Oh, who am I kidding? It's both of course ;o)

'Robo Rampage' rounds the book off and it's another welcome return for a foe of yesteryear. I won't tell you who it is but the (very big) clue is in the title. It's not there for long but it's a lot of fun to read in the meantime.

Slight issues with 'The School of Death' to one side, Robbie Morrison does a great job with the plots for each story and totally captures the mannerisms of Capaldi's Doctor and Clara Oswald. He captures Clara Oswald a little too well for my liking, I always found her a bit annoying (too goo to be true) and that comes out here. That's maybe just me though...

The one thing I don't like about these books is that it's never made clear who is responsible for which artwork in which story. I knw who the artists and colorists are but not what they worked on in this book... With that in mind then, I'm just going to offer a blanket 'I really enjoyed the art on display here, really captures the spirit of the Doctor in particular' and share it equally around all concerned. Nice work all ;o)

And that's another 'Doctor Who' comic in the bag, so to speak. I think I've certainly seen enough here to search out more stories from Robbie Morrison; here's a writer who really gets what 'Doctor Who' should be about (over reliance on 'last minute saves' to one side) and at the end of the day, that's what it's all about really.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.