‘Slasher: The Executioner' (Season 1)


This is probably going to be a shorter post than normal as my work laptop died yesterday and now I’m trying to fit two days’ worth of work into today… I am beginning to really hate this week, it’s a good job that I’ve got a few days off next week 😊 But anyway…

I had the best time watching ‘Slasher: Flesh and Blood' (have a click Here for my thoughts on the matter) so it was a pretty much foregone conclusion that I’d be searching out the rest of the series to get all caught up with. Unfortunately for me, I don’t have Netflix (and probably won’t bother with it, to be honest) so had to go down the ‘old school’ route of searching out the DVDs instead. Luckily for me, Season 1 ('The Executioner') wasn’t hard to find at all…

Sarah Bennett and her husband Dylan move back to the town of her birth, fictitious Waterbury, Canada, into her childhood home, where both of her parents were murdered on the Halloween of 1988. Her mother was pregnant with Sarah at the time of the killing and the killer is the first person that a newborn Sarah sees. Sarah's return to Waterbury is greeted with the start of a series of copycat murders, all appearing to be at the hands of ‘The Executioner’ who killed her parents all those years ago, but he is safely locked up in prison…

This is a really difficult post to say anything original on as 'The Executioner' lays the structural framework that all subsequent ‘Slasher’ seasons followed. I’ve already posted on 'Flesh and Blood' and there’s not a lot that I can add here as far as that goes, everyone has a dirty secret and the Executioner is tracking these people down and getting rid of them in some pretty imaginative ways. And that’s what we’re here for really, there’s a mystery to be solved but we’re really about seeing bad people get their comeuppance and for it to be as gory as possible. And it is, it really is. The kills are paced out very evenly and add to the ongoing mystery around what happened when Sarah was born.

And that’s the other thing worth mentioning here. On the surface, it looks like Sarah’s ‘mystery’ and the ‘Executioner’ are two separate things but they do link together and the result is a town that is just bubbling with intriguing mystery. And for someone like me, who likes to see things neatly tied off in shows like this, it’s good to see that there aren’t any loose ends (apart from the obligatory ‘one off kill’ at the end). We’re given solid explanations as to why things panned out like this, one of which I saw coming but the other one… I never did (and wow by the way…)

‘Slasher: The Executioner' was first broadcast back in 2016 so I’m pretty sure you’ve probably seen it already but if you haven’t though… If you’re looking for an intriguing mystery, that also goes out of it’s way to give you a killer with an eye for variety in their work, you really should give this season of ‘Slasher’ a go. Seriously, get on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Mad God' (2021)

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.