‘The Savage Sword of Conan #16’ – Zub, Scott, Campana, Izaakse (Titan Comics, Heroic Signatures)

 


Just a quick post today because, well… I’m not sure what happened to be honest. I started off in good form, getting stuff done left, right and centre. The next thing I knew, it was almost the end of the day and there was still loads to do. I won’t embarrass myself by dwelling on the backlog; lets just say that there wasn’t a lot of time left to read anything. You know me though, I’ve got reading matter, to hand, for the shortest intervals and so of course I had a copy of the latest ‘Savage Sword of Conan’ to hand. It’s like ‘Past Me’ is keeping an eye open for ‘Present Me’, I’m very grateful ;o)

Since Robert E. Howard’s work found its way to Titan & Heroic Signatures, we’ve had a couple of cross-over events; namely the ‘Battle of the Black Stone’ and ‘The Scourge of the Serpent’. Well, I’m not sure how these events are timed but apparently, it’s time to start getting ready for the return of an old enemy in ‘Tides of the Tyrant King’. And it looks like it’s all kicking off in this very issue of ‘Savage Sword’.

So, what do we get then? Three stories introducing three players who, I assume, are going to be prominent in this cross-over event. The stories vary in quality but on the whole, promise an intriguing storyline to come.

‘Massacred Memories’ wants you to think that it’s a ‘Conan’ tale and I probably shouldn’t have given the game away, should I…? Oh well, here we are.

What we have here is a look at a pivotal event, from Conan’s life, but approached from a slightly different perspective. Conan’s early life is always fascinating but to see the effects of the shadow that it casts over others… Well… Jim Zub’s storytelling is as near as dammit masterful; re-establishing the legend of Conan, showing the bitterness that grows in those shadows and introducing a villain for the cross-over event, all at once. If this is a sign of things to come, well,,, I was there for it anyway but now I’m just a little more excited about it. And Nicola Scott’s artwork captured the feel of the plot very well from where I was sat.

‘The Ghosts of Wahpeton’ and ‘Zuleika’ are bit more straightforward in plot, being more about introducing gunslinger Steve Corcoran, and the Circassian slave-girl Zuleika, rather than going into any greater depth. And I was okay with that, albeit a little more with Corcoran than I was with Zuleika (personal preference really, Zuleika’s tale was a little too vague for me but I still think she will be an interesting character to follow).

When your name is in the title of the comic, you’re pretty much guaranteed an appearance but #16 still felt a little refreshing in its choice of other characters who will either stand with Conan, or against him. I haven’t minded the cast of the last two events, it’s just nice to see someone a little different take the reins (literally in the case of Steve Corcoran… sorry, couldn’t resist).

This latest incarnation of ‘The Savage Sword of Conan’ continues to get on with doing exactly what the original series did so well, telling gripping ‘Sword & Sorcery’ tales and making sure that Conan remains as iconic as he always has been. And that was just what this Graeme needed after the way yesterday ended up going. Now I’m in the mood for a little more ‘Sword & Sorcery’, lets see what’s lurking on my shelves… ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)