Moving from ‘Event Horizon’ to ‘Hellraiser’ (but always sticking with ‘Conan’)

I’ve been going a little ‘stir crazy’, these last few days, so yesterday afternoon, I took myself into town for a slice of pizza (spicy chicken, in case you were wondering) and a visit to Forbidden Planet to pick up a couple of comics. I say ‘a couple’ but I came out with three comics, I think that was remarkably restrained of me.

One series ends, another begins and, ‘Conan the Barbarian’ just keeps rolling along… Just the way I like it :o)


‘Event Horizon: Inferno’ #5 – Ward, Carey, Honchar (ID Dark)

There weren’t many surprises here, ok any surprises, but #5 rounds ‘Event Horizon: Inferno’ off in decent style with a strong vein of ‘be careful what you wish for’ vs ‘man really is unaware of his true standing in the universe’. Yep, I’m looking at you Durante… You were a little too villainish but at the same time, it somehow made the final outcome a little more sweet ;o) I’m half and half over where Starck’s arc (see what I did there?) ends up, as I think she deserved a little more, but on the whole, it works in terms of closure for old plot threads and opening the way for potential new ones.

Do I think there will be more ‘Event Horizon’ tales in the future? I reckon there’s room for at least one more (via Skylar) but whether it happens or not, we’ll see… If it does though, I’d be there for it. Christian Ward has more than proved that he knows his way around an ‘Event Horizon’ tale and I’m interested to see if/where he takes things next.


‘Hellraiser Resurrections #1: The Onanistic Ritual’ – Thompson, Mitchell,Segala (Boom!)

Just like the Blues Brothers, Pinhead is ‘getting the band back together’…

Now I don’t normally do this but my daughters (very) occasionally read this blog, and this is ‘Hellraiser’ done just like Clive Barker intended, so I’m not going to go too deep into the content. Because yes, it really is that kind of Onanistic Ritual and no wonder Mark could barely stand by the end. Mark clearly enjoys his rituals, for all the good that does him.

What I will say is that #1 is a very strong opening to this mini series and as a fan of the franchise, I’m definitely interested to see where it goes next. Thompson makes his feelings on ‘Hellraiser 3’ pretty clear and while I actually enjoyed that movie, the first two were better so any comic that wants to go back to those roots is fine by me. I’m not so sure about the artwork but that’s just me, I’ll see what a re-read does for me.

Whether its single issues or a slightly longer wait for the collected trade edition, I’ll be following this one. Sounds like Zac Thompson has ‘such sights’ to show us… ;o)


‘Conan The Barbarian’ #34 – Zub, Dagnino, Rodriguez (Titan Comics/Heroic Signatures)

The crew of the ‘Briney Wren’ have shipwrecked on a seemingly deserted island only… It’s not as deserted as it seems… Can Conan’s desire for a little solitude save the rest of the crew?

Well, you’re going to have to wait until #35, for that question to be answered, but the build-up is a lot of fun to be going on with. Zub and Dagnino are so ‘at home’, in the setting, that they are happy to take risks like including baby dinosaurs, that are far too cute for this world, and it just works. I will never say no to a slice of Sword and Sorcery that isn’t afraid to poke just a little fun at itself. No spoilers here but I didn’t see the twist coming at all, maybe I should have but here we are and it sets things up superbly for what I think is going to be a spectacular #35. No pressure, Zub and co, you’ve got this. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)