Movies… But No Comfy Chair To Watch Them From…

A slightly extended weekend break from the blog, sorry about that :o) To cut a long, and not very exciting, story short… The comfy chair has gone to wherever comfy chairs go when they are no longer that comfy (the ‘tip’ in Lewisham) and I was left with a selection of chairs that are functional but not the kind of chair you can curl up in and read for a few hours. The search for a new comfy chair starts… Here :o)

Anyway… Not a lot of reading happened over the weekend (hardly any actually) but I did manage to watch a few movies. Let me tell you about them…


‘The Descent’ (2005)
 
A caving expedition goes horribly wrong when a cave-in leaves the party trapped in unfamiliar tunnels with no idea how to escape. And while they can’t see what is stalking them through the tunnels, it can hear them…

I’m reading the novelization, of ‘The Descent’, at the moment so when I saw the film was free to watch on Prime, well… I’d never seen it before so I had to give it a go :o) And… Well.

It wasn’t a bad film, to be fair, and it’s not the films fault that another eye test is due. It may seem obvious (because it is) but the thing is, if you watch a film set underground, and the cast are trying to save on their torch batteries etc, you’re going to have trouble if you have eyes like mine. There were some really claustrophobic moments and the Crawlers were chilling but, there were also moments where I struggled to work out what was happening because I literally couldn’t see. That’s not the film’s fault though, just my experience of it. The bits I saw were great, those with better eyesight will get a lot more out of it. Luckily for me, I have the book to fill in those gaps ;o)


‘Ice Cream Man’ (2026)

An idyllic town descends into chaos when the sound of the Ice Cream Van (and the treats that it serves) drives the children to madness… and murder.

What we have here is basically a much bloodier version of ‘Cooties’, seasoned with a dash of ‘The Pied Piper of Hamelin’, and one of those twists that I should have seen coming but didn’t and… it hit really hard.

‘Ice Cream Man’ initially came across as a little lightweight, and just an excuse to see deranged children kill adults, but give it a chance and there’s an interesting sub-plot around revenge that kept things fresh and culminated in that brutal ending. Definitely a gore-fest then but there was more to ‘Ice Cream Man’ than I thought there would be.


‘Chompy and the Girls’ (2021)

A troubled young woman meets her father, for the first time, but their meeting goes from awkward to alarming as they witness a man swallow a small girl whole. And then he starts to follow them…

This was actually a re-watch but a quick look through the blog showed me that I’d never mentioned it before so… Here we are :o)

‘Chompy and the Girls’ is a little bit chilling but is also a very warm, humorous kind of Cosmic Horror that I’d imagine must be quite difficult to pull off successfully. Director, and writer, Sky Braband, does it here though and I’m very glad that Prime suggested that I give it a re-watch.

Having said that though, and as an aside, I could have done without Prime suggesting that I watch ‘Norton Creek Massacre’. I gave the first 10-15 minutes a go and found myself wondering if it had been created with AI. One quick Google later and I found out that it had. I’m happy to let AI summarise my work emails, I’m not so keen on reading books/watching films created by AI. I didn’t bother with the rest of the ‘movie’.

How about you, have you watched anything good recently? Leave a comment and let me know :o)

Comments

  1. Oh man, the search for comfy chairs is fraught with peril and possible danger! Our comfy couch is on it's last legs (I bought it in 2008) and we've avoided looking at new ones because there are so many choices and sitting on a couch for 2minutes in a store is VERY different from sitting on it for hours at home :-D Plus, 3 flights of stairs, hahahaha.

    You are not a lone when it comes to trying go "guess" whats going on in dark movies. I'll dnf a movie now if it's too dark. I don't have time for that, or the mental fortitude either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)