Cover Art and (Newer) Blurb... 'The Splintered Sun' - Tad Williams

I know, I posted about this, back in December, but I was mooching about on Amazon and saw that there was cover art to go with a different blurb from last time round. While I try and figure out what to make of today, I thought I'd share them here so, here goes...


Vedra and Daley are fugitives, two children, one with a strange and powerful gift. When their flight ends in capture, they are claimed by Flann's Crows, Osten Ard's most infamous band of outlaws and the children must learn to survive or be swallowed whole.

As whispers of a deadly plot coil around the throne of Hernystir, the Crows are drawn into a game far deadlier than bandit raids and border skirmishes. An immortal exile - ancient, dangerous, burdened with secrets that refuse to die - offers alliance. To trust him may mean salvation. To refuse him may doom the realm.

For in the deep forests and ruined places of the old world, something stirs. Oaths will be broken. Blood will answer blood. And two hunted children may hold the fate of a kingdom in their trembling hands.

Before legend, before ruin - there was the beginning...


As far as the cover art goes, there's nothing wrong with it but I have to say that it really makes me miss the days of Michael Whelan pulling 'cover art duty'. Your mileage will vary but for me, those original covers were 'Osten Ard', that's all there is to it. Do I sound old? I feel old... ;o)

The blurb though, that's more like it. I'm looking forward to finding out a little more about Hernystir and am I right in thinking that our 'immortal exile' is a Norn? That's my feeling here but we'll have to wait and see. 

And I'm also wondering if 'The Splintered Sun' is the beginning of a series. Williams definitely has form for thick books leading into series that take over your shelves but the blurb feels very 'standalone'. Again, we'll have to wait and see; Amazon mentions an October release so it's not like we'll have to wait for very long ;o)

And no, I still haven't read 'The Navigators Children' (I know...) Let me add that to the TBR pile while I'm thinking of it...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)