‘Saga: Volume 3’ – Vaughan, Staples (Image)

 

Page Count: 144 Pages

After all my talk, yesterday, of not diving straight into ‘Dark Creed’… Last night, I almost did just that. The days seem to be getting a little tougher, the closer my job comes to its end, and I wanted something that wasn’t going to be too demanding. Don’t judge me ;o)

And then I ended up spending the evening with my ex-wife and daughters and I feel like I need to clarify. My ex-wife is the only ‘ex’, my daughters are still my daughters ;o) Damn I’m tired. Anyway…

I still fancied a read, last night, but by the time I got back, there wasn’t time to get stuck into ‘Dark Creed’. There was time for an hour, or two, with Volume 3 of ‘Saga’ though so…

As new parents Marko and Alana travel to an alien world to visit their hero, the family's pursuers finally close in on their targets. For one of them though, the reason for that pursuit has suddenly changed…

Volume 3 of ‘Saga’ ended up being just what I needed last night. A read with plenty to say but also a read that was happy to take its own sweet time getting there. There’s plenty happening here but for me, the focus remains firmly on Marko and Alana working out this new family dynamic and its impact on every decision they make. And at the same time, The Will and Gwendolyn are on a very similar journey and it makes for compelling reading watching these journeys run in parallel.

As good as all this is though, what I really ended up staying for though was the world building and the debate around war that weaves through it. I loved the ‘little incidentals’ that crop up and really immerse you in a sci-fi setting the likes of which I’ve never really come across before. The kind of galaxy riven by techno/magical warfare but also the kind of galaxy where purchasing the proper breakdown coverage is key if you actually want to get anything done. Planets where you can fish for ‘sky sharks’ but you absolutely mustn’t eat the fruit, not one bite.

And it’s all so beautifully drawn by Fiona Staples; it looks so lush to the point where you can feel it dovetail with the plot. There are so many stories, waiting to be told, in the background, let alone the main plot.

And if that wasn’t enough, there is still room for a little carefully placed action that moves things along at just the right moments. Not only that but it also hints at a possible reason why Prince Robot IV’s head periodically shows some fairly explicit stuff. I still don’t feel particularly sympathetic to him but lets just say that war leaves its mark on everyone and you begin to appreciate that this has happened to Prince Robot as well. It’s very subtly done.

Well, I’ve reached the point where I stopped reading last time but I’m confident I’ll read further this time round. Time away from the series has really helped me appreciate the story being told here and if future volumes hit anywhere near the standard set by Volume 3, I don’t want to miss out, not again. Now I just have to find some (very) cheap copies before I can keep reading. Jobs don’t consider what your reading plans are; they just end when they’re ready...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)