A Little ‘Event Horizon’ and a lot of ‘Conan’…
The end of my job is only two and a bit weeks away but somehow seems to be dragging out at the same time… I’ve handed all of my projects over, to the new folk, now and I’m left with all the ‘leavers admin’ stuff and all the fiddly little bits that it wouldn’t be fair to leave to someone else. If only I could remember where I left my motivation in the meantime… ;o)
Add a couple of pissed off cats into the mix (it’s far too hot at the moment…) and yesterday was pretty miserable to be honest. As luck would have it though, ‘past me’ saw a situation like this occurring and very thoughtfully ordered some comic books that turned up yesterday morning. So, once all the ‘work stuff’ was done for the day, I settled down for some reading…
‘Event Horizon: Inferno’ #4 – Ward, Carey, Honchar (ID Dark)
After all the excitement, and a little heartbreak, of #3, this fourth instalment slows things right down again; some of the players didn’t get their ‘time in the sun’ and presumably need to get caught up with before we head into the final issue. I get why it had to happen like this but the end result is that while there are some very interesting moments (Weir! A look into the heart of the Event Horizon itself!), it feels like we’re stuck in a holding pattern, waiting for the final approach.
I’m a fan though, and Ward has build up a lot of goodwill with me (he knows what he is doing with ‘Event Horizon’), so I’m willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and see where that final issue lands. If you’ve come this far, you’re not going to drop out just before the end either ;o)
And while I’m not a huge fan of the whole ‘variant cover thing’, I’m really glad I picked this one in my order…
‘Conan the Barbarian’ #32 – Zub, Braithwaite, Rodriguez (Titan Comics, Heroic Signatures)
The Son of the Tooth is dead and for a while, Conan wasn’t too far behind… Conan is on the mend though and in need of some coin to pay what he owes. And as ‘luck’ would have it, a mysterious woman will only accept him as her escort to her home village…
Jim Zub has more than proved himself capable of being responsible for telling the further adventures of Conan but I did wonder if he’d bitten off more than he could chew here. A job that wouldn’t tax a recovering Conan at the best of times, is there really a story to be told here…?
Yes, yes there is :o)
It turns out that even the simplest mission can be enthralling if you throw enough zombies at Conan and end the whole thing with a sweet little twist that made me go, ‘ohhh…’ The plot does meander a little but really hits its stride when it counts. That’ll teach me not to doubt Jim Zub…
‘The Savage Sword of Conan #15’ – Various (Titan Comics, Heroic Signatures)
And we round things off here with what has now officially become a monthly purchase of ‘mostly Conan’ (I mean, the clue is in the title…) but also a little reminder of how wide ranging REH’s writing could be. I’d never come across ‘Breckinridge Elkins’ before but I’ll definitely have to see if he’s in any of the collections on my shelves. There’s not a lot to DeFalco and Frenz’s tale of ‘The Two Ton Terror’ (well, apart from the titular turtle) but the near constant brawling carries things along nicely, I was more than happy with that.
‘The Ghost Kings’ is another reminder that I need to be a little more open to poetry in general but especially when it’s written by REH. Juan Alberto Hernandez’s accompanying artwork is just gorgeous.
The main attraction though is Conan (again, ‘big clue’ in the title of the comic) and this time round, he takes up the chance of a little ‘job swapping’ in ‘The Exchange’, easily done when the idea is proposed by a pretty lady who is handy with a blade. Again, there are no big surprises here (having said that, is Conan forgiven a little too easily…?) but Palmiotti and Conner keep the plot moving along with some sweet derring-do, bloody sword work and a dirty great snake that eats very well indeed. That was all I was after, last night, so was more than happy with what I got; Belanger’s dynamic artwork was the icing on the cake ;o)
What comics are you reading at the moment?
Add a couple of pissed off cats into the mix (it’s far too hot at the moment…) and yesterday was pretty miserable to be honest. As luck would have it though, ‘past me’ saw a situation like this occurring and very thoughtfully ordered some comic books that turned up yesterday morning. So, once all the ‘work stuff’ was done for the day, I settled down for some reading…
‘Event Horizon: Inferno’ #4 – Ward, Carey, Honchar (ID Dark)
After all the excitement, and a little heartbreak, of #3, this fourth instalment slows things right down again; some of the players didn’t get their ‘time in the sun’ and presumably need to get caught up with before we head into the final issue. I get why it had to happen like this but the end result is that while there are some very interesting moments (Weir! A look into the heart of the Event Horizon itself!), it feels like we’re stuck in a holding pattern, waiting for the final approach.
I’m a fan though, and Ward has build up a lot of goodwill with me (he knows what he is doing with ‘Event Horizon’), so I’m willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and see where that final issue lands. If you’ve come this far, you’re not going to drop out just before the end either ;o)
And while I’m not a huge fan of the whole ‘variant cover thing’, I’m really glad I picked this one in my order…
‘Conan the Barbarian’ #32 – Zub, Braithwaite, Rodriguez (Titan Comics, Heroic Signatures)
The Son of the Tooth is dead and for a while, Conan wasn’t too far behind… Conan is on the mend though and in need of some coin to pay what he owes. And as ‘luck’ would have it, a mysterious woman will only accept him as her escort to her home village…
Jim Zub has more than proved himself capable of being responsible for telling the further adventures of Conan but I did wonder if he’d bitten off more than he could chew here. A job that wouldn’t tax a recovering Conan at the best of times, is there really a story to be told here…?
Yes, yes there is :o)
It turns out that even the simplest mission can be enthralling if you throw enough zombies at Conan and end the whole thing with a sweet little twist that made me go, ‘ohhh…’ The plot does meander a little but really hits its stride when it counts. That’ll teach me not to doubt Jim Zub…
‘The Savage Sword of Conan #15’ – Various (Titan Comics, Heroic Signatures)
And we round things off here with what has now officially become a monthly purchase of ‘mostly Conan’ (I mean, the clue is in the title…) but also a little reminder of how wide ranging REH’s writing could be. I’d never come across ‘Breckinridge Elkins’ before but I’ll definitely have to see if he’s in any of the collections on my shelves. There’s not a lot to DeFalco and Frenz’s tale of ‘The Two Ton Terror’ (well, apart from the titular turtle) but the near constant brawling carries things along nicely, I was more than happy with that.
‘The Ghost Kings’ is another reminder that I need to be a little more open to poetry in general but especially when it’s written by REH. Juan Alberto Hernandez’s accompanying artwork is just gorgeous.
The main attraction though is Conan (again, ‘big clue’ in the title of the comic) and this time round, he takes up the chance of a little ‘job swapping’ in ‘The Exchange’, easily done when the idea is proposed by a pretty lady who is handy with a blade. Again, there are no big surprises here (having said that, is Conan forgiven a little too easily…?) but Palmiotti and Conner keep the plot moving along with some sweet derring-do, bloody sword work and a dirty great snake that eats very well indeed. That was all I was after, last night, so was more than happy with what I got; Belanger’s dynamic artwork was the icing on the cake ;o)
What comics are you reading at the moment?



Comments
Post a Comment