Watching Movies Again...

I had a bit of a day yesterday... Nothing bad or even out of the ordinary really, just one of those days where you feel like you're trying to squeeze twenty five hours worth of stuff into a twenty four hour day. You know what I mean, don't you? ;o)

By the time I'd dropped my youngest daughter back with her Mum and her sister. I was pretty much done for the day. I still haven't quite decided on my next read so I thought I'd watch a few movies instead. And here's the post where I tell you all about them ;o) One surprisingly good movie, one that... wasn't bad and a 'creature feature' to round things off.


'Ghost Stories' (2017)

Professor Phillip Goodman devotes his life to exposing phony psychics and fraudulent supernatural shenanigans. His skepticism soon gets put to the test when he receives news of three chilling and inexplicable cases - each of which seem to have a sinister connection to the professor's own life...

If you're a regular visitor to the blog, you'll know that I love 'Horror Anthology' movies and I think that 'Ghost Stories' may well be one of the best yet that I've seen. I thought that Goodman's plot was signposted a little too much, to start off with, but as the film went on, it becomes clear that this is pretty much the whole point. No surprises then but the sense of dreadful inevitability is more than worth it and Goodman's plot dovetails perfectly with the other three tales, all of which are just deliciously creepy. I can see myself giving this one a rewatch over Halloween, and still being creeped out by it. 'Ghost Stories' is free to watch on Prime Video.


'Outpost 2: Black Sun' (2012)

Following the events of 2008's 'Outpost' (Nazi zombies awakened in a secret bunker, a small group of mercenaries come off very much second best), Nazi zombies are on the march and taking the war to their enemy. A small team of Special Forces soldiers must re-enter the bunker and destroy the technology that gives the zombies 'life'...

Watching Nazi zombies do their thing is always cool, no exceptions (Exhibit A: Both 'Dead Snow' movies) and 'Outpost 2' totally delivers on that score with loads of fights between, well... you know :o) In terms of spectacle then, 'Outpost 2' was a big hit for me. Where it fell down slightly was the plot which felt like someone had scribbled some notes down (after the original 'Outpost' presumably did well enough to warrant a sequel) and forgot to expand on them before filming began. 'Disjointed' is the word of the day then but there was still enough cool stuff happening to make the movie watchable ;o)


'They Crawl Beneath' (2022)

After an earthquake leaves Danny trapped and alone, his claustrophobic nightmare only gets worse when something truly horrifying emerges from the fissures in the ground, forcing him to engage in a brutal fight for his life and his sanity.

I will never say no to a 'creature feature' and I'm really glad that I gave this a shot. I didn't think you could get an hour and a half's worth of movie out of one guy trapped in a garage, fighting giant worms, but I was completely wrong. 'They Crawl Beneath' was a taut tale of one man fighting, well... everything in his life but mostly giant worms and it was so watchable (icky and creepy in equal measure); I don't know how much I'll remember of it (in a week's time) but it did its job when it needed to. That's the main thing ;o)

Comments

  1. Have you watched the original Outpost? Was it any good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched 'Outpost' in a long time but I think it's a good movie that should probably have been left to stand on its own. It's a zombie movie though so might not be your thing? I'll be honest... As much as I enjoy 'Outpost 2', I can't help but think that they were squeezing the plot of 'Outpost' for every last drop so they could make a sequel.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Day of Ascension’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.