Catching up with my Prime Watchlist (with bonus 'Rings of Power')

Work hasn't exactly been giving me a kicking this week but it has very definitely been letting me know who is charge (clue: I'm not the one in charge...) Oh well, one more day and it's the weekend ;o) So, not a lot of energy for reading then (although 'The Blacktongue Thief' continues to be excellent whenever I get a chance to read a few pages) so I thought I'd use last night to watch some utterly daft horror instead. That and the latest episode of 'Rings of Power'. Let me tell you all about it, daft horror first...

'Freddy vs. Jason' (2003)

The children of Elm Street have forgotten Freddy Krueger. leaving him stuck in Hell. Freddy isn't without a plan though, enlisting the 'help' of Jason Voorhees to see if another killing spree will jog a few memories. Unfortunately for Freddy though, Jason is a little too good at what he does... With a group of teenagers stuck in the middle, these two horror icons will battle it out to the... Well, neither of them can actually die but you know what I mean ;o)

I was after something fun last night, loads of gore but nothing high stakes. And that is exactly what 'Freddy vs. Jason' is... A film with no plot, just a bunch of teenagers being killed to set the stage for a final fight between our two 'heroes'. You know how it's going to end and none of the teenagers are engaging enough to support, I was just there for the 'Freddy/Jason' moments and they all delivered, whether it was Freddy being all sarcastic or Jason being all 'silent and choppy'. 'Freddy vs. Jason' did exactly what I wanted it to and there was only one possible film that I could follow it with...

'Jason X' (2001)

Jason Voorhees reign of terror comes to an end when he is captured and (eventually) cryogenically frozen at the beginning of the 21st century. 455 years later... A group of student archaeologists unearth his remains for transportation back their home world, bad move. Jason wakes up on board a spaceship and immediately gets back to doing what he does best. Will anyone make it home?

There's not a lot I can add here that I haven't already said about 'Freddy vs. Jason'. 'Jason X' has no plot to speak of, just a big old excuse for Jason to kill off annoying teenagers along with assorted holograms and one robot (well, we're all sci-fi here). But I'm not going to complain because I was after something brainless and full of blood and that's exactly what I got. Your mileage will vary and to be honest, mine will too depending on what day it is and what I'm after in my movie watching. Last night though? 'Jason X' was just what I needed.

'Rings of Power' Season 2, Episode 6 - 'Where Is He?'

It's not often, these days, that I'll watch 'Rings of Power' on a Thursday. My overall experience has been that it's ok but it can wait a day or two for me to get round to watching it. The advert was right in front of me though so I thought I may as well watch it now and... I'm really glad that I did.

All I've ever really wanted from 'Rings of Power' was for it to stop messing around and get on with telling a story, 'Where Is He?' may be the episode where that finally happened... All of a sudden I'm feeling better about the rest of this season and maybe even future seasons to come. Things are not only happening but you can't help but feel that the momentum is now too great and things are going to keep happening. Sauron's plans are well and truly in motion and the Orc legions outside Eregion are putting Adar's own plan into action. Are these two plans connected though? And poor Celembrimbor, being so easily outwitted by Sauron (Charlie Vickers continues to be amazing in the role). And if that wasn't enough, the Stranger is about to become a Jedi, sorry... Wizard ;o) It's all happening here. I actually can't wait for next weeks episode and I don't think I've ever felt like that before.


Comments

  1. If you don't mind me asking, just what do you do for work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work in IT Service Management for a bank, it's a great place to work but sometimes can get a little intense, like most of this week ;o)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Day of Ascension’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.