Bank Holiday Weekend Movie Watching...

There's not going to be a lot of that happening today... It's Bank Holiday Monday, here in the UK, but I've got a fair bit of work to do before I go back into the office tomorrow. Now seems a good time then to have a little look at what I watched on Saturday and Sunday ;o) A couple of hits and a couple of misses, sometimes that's the way it goes... ;o)


'Haunt' (2019)

On Halloween, a group of friends visit an 'extreme' haunted house that promises to feed on their darkest fears. The night soon turns deadly though and they come to the horrifying realization that some nightmares are real.

To be fair, there were some decent scares to be had here but our lead characters were far too lightweight to hang a plot off. Luckily enough, there was hardly any plot so you could just sit back and watch the leads die off one by one. But then, our villains weren't quite imposing enough to carry off the 'evil for the hell of it' routine they were going for either and the whole thing ended up feeling like a case of showing off nasty deaths to get a reaction rather than tell a story. Maybe it's just middle age biting hard, and I'm just grumpy, but 'Haunt' really didn't work for me, even though you could tell it really wanted to.


'Hell Fest' (2018)

A masked serial killer turns a horror-themed amusement park into his own personal playground, terrorizing a group of friends while the rest of the patrons believe that it is all part of the show.

More or less exactly the same as 'Haunt' but with a group of leads that you can get behind and a killer with some actual presence. Honestly, it made all the difference and I loved the little human touch at the end. 'Hell Fest' doesn't do anything new but has great fun doing what it does and I couldn't help but get into that. I'd definitely watch it again.


'Final Destination 3' (2006)

A group of teens escape a fatal roller-coaster crash but Death doesn't like a job left unfinished... Will any of the survivors survive what is to come?

Well, you know what 'Final Destination' movies are like so I didn't really need to ask that question, did I? 'Final Destination 3' is the only one, out of the series, that I hadn't seen so when I saw it pop up on Netflix, I thought I'd have some of that.

And...? If you've seen a couple of 'Final Destination' movies then you know what you're getting and it almost feels wrong to knock 'Final Destination 3' for delivering on that front. But having said that, it really felt like they were just lining teens up to be slaughtered with not a lot of regard for the 'death buildup' moments that make these movies so watchable for me. It was alright but very much a film where I found it easy to check my phone instead of paying attention.


'Final Destination 5' (2011)

Pretty much the same as 'Final Destination 3', just substitute 'bridge disaster' for 'fatal roller-coaster crash' ;o)

I'll be honest, I always enjoy 'Final Destination 5', it's probably my favourite of the lot, so I had to watch it after finishing 'Final Destination 3'. 'Final Destination 5' is just the better movie no matter how you look at it. The initial disaster is a lot more in your face and the deaths that follow are built up to in a far more satisfying manner. That's all I'm after from a 'Final Destination' movie and this installment is the best at what it does ;o)

I also watched 'Color Out Of Space', just because by that point, I really wanted another movie that I knew would work for me. I've posted about that before though so won't go through it again. You can click Here if you want to see what I thought of it back in 2020, my opinion hasn't changed since then ;o)

And that's your lot, movie-wise. Did you watch anything good over the weekend?




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Day of Ascension’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.