‘The Dead Remember’ – Robert E. Howard


Page Count: 9 Pages

If you’re looking to read ‘The Dead Remember’ (and if not, you really should), Project Gutenberg has a copy Here while Amazon can sort you out if you have a Kindle. If you’re looking for a physical copy, ‘The Dead Remember’ can be found in Del Rey’s ‘The Horror Stories of Robert E. Howard’ collection but I found in a collection called… You guessed it ;o)

I was just coming out of finishing ‘The Nest’ and fancied a quick read while I caught my breath and decided what to read next. And it really was as simple as seeing the title, on the cover, and thinking to myself, ‘I wonder if that’s the title of one of the stories?’ It was, I read it and now I get to tell you all about it ;o)

Jim Gordon killed a man and his wife, in a drunken rage, and now he is a man waiting to die. The woman’s dying words were to curse him; he would die within the week and she would be there when the time came. Jim has promised his brother that he will go out fighting, but will he be given that chance…?

My ‘mission’ to read more works, that aren’t just ‘Conan’, by Robert E. Howard continues with this tale of supernatural revenge, in the Old West, and… It was another enthralling and gripping read from Howard, of course it was. I’m coming to the realization that I’ll probably never be disappointed when I read something of Howard’s and I’m fine with that ;o) Life really is too short to be reading stuff that you don’t enjoy.

While the outcome is never really in doubt, Howard does just enough to make you think that it could be. Jim Gordon gets away with murder and for a while, you can’t help but wonder if ghostly revenge is going to come to naught. Gordon seems to be leading a bit of a charmed life, until you realise that these are warnings of what is to come and that Jezebel’s curse will be adhered to by the letter. Gordon may be determined to go out swinging but the message is clear, Gordon committed a vile crime and has to be punished.

All cut and dried then? Not quite… Like I said, the outcome is never in doubt but I loved the way that Howard keeps things fresh by dragging out the tension way past the point of Gordon’s inevitable death. A series of written statements slowly uncovers a revelation that means little to the men involved, but means everything to the reader. A powerful ending to a tale of supernatural justice from beyond the grave. Definitely give ‘The Dead Remember’ a read if you can.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Day of Ascension’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.