(Another) Movie Night! 'The Sequelling...'

A sequel to the last 'Movie Night' post that is, I didn't spend yesterday watching sequels... ;o) I've struggled to get into anything reading wise, after finishing 'Deathworlder', so I gave my brain the weekend off, settled down in my favourite chair and set about trying to make a dent in my Prime watchlist. And this is the post where I tell all about what I watched yesterday :o) Lets do it,


'The Last Hope' (2020)

The world has been devastated by the virus that has reanimated the dead to consume the living. Australia has so far remained unscathed through a brutal border protection policy and internment facilities. Derek Jones and the High Risk Response Unit restore order to the internment facilities when law and order breaks down. When the arrival of a mysterious girl collides with the uprising at the Briar's Hill Detention Centre, will Australia, the last hope for many, finally fall?

I'm not going to lie, a lot of this movie's budget clearly went into the poster, and it shows... Having said that though, 'The Last Hope' has a lot of heart and a few other, more well funded, zombie films could learn a little lesson from this. The cast throw their all at it and the result, for me, was a movie that I really got into. Definitely worth a punt if you've got an hour and a half to kill and fancy ticking another zombie movie off the watchlist.


'What Lies Below' (2020)

When Libby returns from summer camp, it's to find that her mother has agreed to marry John, seemingly the perfect fiance. That's until Libby spies him walking into the middle of a glowing light in the lake, only for him to suddenly appear right behind her, and completely dry. There's more to John than anyone realizes, can Libby solve the mystery before it's too late?

The trailer got me interested, the actual movie took all that interest, screwed it up into a little ball and threw it in the bin. There was a brief moment where I thought, 'no way, Mena Suvari...' but for the rest of the film, I was waiting for something to actually happen and it never did. Which was a real shame because there was definitely potential for 'What Lies Below' to be much more than what it was. There are any number of 'Alien Invasion' movies out there, watch any one of those and don't bother with this one.


'Dante's Peak' (1997)

Volcano expert Harry Dalton believes that a long dormant volcano is about to erupt right by the town of Dante's Peak. Will anyone listen to him though? Of course they won't, not until the volcano actually erupts...

Now here's a movie that I've always meant to watch but somehow never managed to, not until yesterday anyway when I realized it was free to watch on Prime. Just over an hour and a half later and... It was alright, I guess. There was nothing wrong with it, I think the actors just got lost in the middle of all the natural disaster stuff going on (which looked awesome). And considering that's what the movie was all about, fair enough but a little bit of plot would have been cool.



'Cobweb' (2023)

There's something in the walls... And it knows Peter's name. Should he listen to it or should he listen to his Mother when she says, "Don't let it out..."

I ended up really enjoying 'Cobweb', a film that has no surprises in its plot (at least not for me) but is still really creepy to sit with. Loads of tension and the jump scares are all perfectly timed. Can you ask for any more than that? No, no you can't. 
'Cobweb' is free on Prime and definitely worth a look.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.