‘Warcry: The Anthology’ – Various (Black Library)


Bit of an ‘odd’ post to write, this one. Not because of anything to do with the book but more that I originally intended to post about each of the featured stories as I read them. I only got two stories in as it happened, ‘The Harrower’ (David Annandale) and ‘The Method of Madness’ (Peter McLean). I’ll tell you more about why the read stalled in a bit…

I was always going to pick ‘Warcry’ up again, at some point, and that became the other day when I read about Games Workshop retiring some of the Warcry war bands. I don’t know why that, of all things, spurred me on to finish the rest of the book but here we are ;o) Not a bad book on the whole; it feels like a cop-out to say it (that’s not going to stop me though…) but your mileage will inevitably vary depending on authors, particular war bands (if you’re a fan of the game), that kind of thing. There was only one story that I actively didn’t get on with so I’m glad, overall, that I picked a copy up.

There were four stories left, in the collection, so that’s what I’ll concentrate on in this post, quick thoughts as per usual…

In the twisted remains of the Eightpoints, Archaon has raised the Varanspire as an indomitable bastion against the puppet forces of Order. From its halls, the call of the Everchosen resounds across the Mortal Realms, summoning the worthy to his side. This is a deadly odyssey, for the Exalted Grand Marshall has no use for the weak. Rival warbands of every stripe battle across the wastes of the Bloodwind Spoil, a land filled with unspeakable horrors, to earn Archaon’s favour. Some, such as the Iron Golems, use brute force and unwavering discipline to achieve their ends. Others, like the Corvus Cabal, strike from the shadows, cutting throats and taking trophies of their hunt. All seek to claim their rightful place at the Everchosen’s side, but few will survive even their first nights in this tormented domain.

This anthology brings together six brand-new stories, chronicling the perilous journeys of some of the Mortal Realms' most horrifying warbands: the Unmade, the Iron Golems, the Splintered Fang and more, from authors including David Annandale, Josh Reynolds and David Guymer.


‘The Devourer’s Demand’ – Ben Counter

So… You’ll remember my saying that the read stalled and there was only the one story that I actively didn’t get on with. Well, here it is.

There’s a lot to enjoy in ‘The Devourer’s Demand’ (followers of Chaos fighting monsters, always cool) but it seemed to take far too long to get to those bits and Thornwinder, our lead, was far too annoying to spend that time with. I kind of got the message but did Thornwinder have to be so deliberately set up to fail? Maybe another read will change my mind but I can’t see that happening for a while.

‘Proving Ground’ – Sarah Cawkwell

Now this was far more like it. Just watching the Corvus Cabal operate is all the hook this story needs (Cawkwell choreographs her fights beautifully) and that’s before we get to peeling back the layers of intrigue that drive the plot. So, a double hook then ;o) ‘Proving Ground’ is a story that’s always on the move and Lock is bastard enough that I kept reading, just to see if he is as good as he thinks he is or if someone else is better. As it happens…

‘Eight Tailed Naga’ – David Guymer

I had a lot of fun with this one too, a tale of rival war bands with a hefty dose of intrigue upon double cross. And I guess that’s the whole point of Chaos in this book in particular. Goals may coincide but you should never forget that your ally is anything but. Guymer displays this with a deft touch that draws you in and then sends you off in a different direction entirely. I suspect it probably won’t happen now but I wouldn’t have minded seeing this develop into something longer.

‘The Iron Promise’ – Josh Reynolds

Again, another tale where you expect one thing, only to given something at least ten times better. The characters aren’t particularly inspiring but I couldn’t help but get behind their drive and focus to get the job done, no matter what the cost. Add an evil conniving Duardin to the mix and you’ve got a tale that steps up a gear precisely when it needs to. A good tale to sign off on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.