‘The Goon: Calamity of Conscience’ – Eric Powell (Dark Horse)


At some point along the line, I forgot to add the volume numbers. Dammit… Oh well, if you’ve been keeping count, you’ll know that we’re up to Volume 9 and although there are still more volumes left to cover, this book sees the end of a major arc in the life of the Goon. I’m full of Covid (although it’s not as bad as it was the first time I had it) but still managed to stay awake for long enough to finish ‘Calamity of Conscience’. It wasn’t hard, the pages pretty much turn themselves here…

All the soldiers head to the battlefield, including the monstrous Wicker Man – apparently the mob boss Labrazio isn’t the only one who has come back from the dead. And those aren’t the only faces who have returned to the town on the edge of Horse-Eater’s Wood. The Goon also needs to face the love of his life, who has come back with a grave secret. But all of these showdowns pale in comparison to the big fight this story this story has been building to…

I’m going to keep this one fairly short and sweet, because you know… Covid, but I really wanted to say a few bits on just what a great comic book this is. It really is.

I said, at the top of the post, that ‘Calamity’ sees the end of a major arc in the life of the Goon and Powell goes all out to deliver. This is a finale that makes you wonder if the original plan was to end ‘The Goon’ here (and maybe that should have happened, I’m not sure), there is certainly enough emotion and firepower, on each page, to more than deliver in terms of spectacle and drama. The first page of ‘Chinatown’ says ‘This ain’t funny’, well… neither is ‘Calamity of Conscience’ (unless you’re Franky and you’ve just offed Lazlo, then you’re allowed a little psychotic giggle)

The action is superb, of course it is, but the real joy (if you can call it that with all the heartbreak, you know what I mean…) comes in watching certain characters come to the end of a journey, fight through real adversity only to find happiness still agonisingly out of reach. I’m talking about the Goon of course, the real tragedy being that even now, he still doesn’t know how much he has, let alone what he’s lost. It’s worth sparing a thought for Buzzard as well, so far gone that not even the Priest knows what he is anymore. At least Buzzard has the opportunity to go on and become something though, no matter what that might be. The Goon is constantly being reminded of the same lesson, doing the right thing is no guarantee of happiness.

I’m going to end it here, I think I did pretty well to make it this far all things considered ;o) I reviewed ‘Calamity of Conscience’ back in 2009, have a click Here for some other thoughts on what I honestly believe is a classic comic book, it’s in my top five anyway. I know I say this every time but do give these books a go if you have the chance, you won’t regret it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.