More Short Stories of the Living Dead…


Because not only did I finally find my copy of ‘The Living Dead’ (apparently, books can hide…) but I actually had the energy for a quick read after my girls had gone home. Wonders will never cease and all that ;o) Now here’s a book that I’d always meant to read but somehow spent most of its time hidden away in my loft (in the old place). Now everything’s all on the one floor, books like ‘The Living Dead’ suddenly appear and demand that I look through them. Who am I to refuse them…?

A quick glance over the contents page had me wondering whether ‘The Living Dead 2’ is going to feature in more of these posts; there wasn’t a lot here that initially caught my eye. There were a couple of titles though, hence this post. One a very welcome re-read and one a ‘first time read’ that I suspect will be hanging around for a while. I also read Neil Gaiman’s ‘Bitter Grounds’ but I want to try and get my head round it a little (maybe even give it another read) before posting about it.

As always, short stories mean quick thoughts in a post like this. I’ve got a full day ahead of me and I want to pack as much sleep into it as possible…

‘Home Delivery’ – Stephen King

Page Count: 21 Pages.

When you consider Stephen King’s horror output, it’s a little surprising when you realise that zombie fiction hardly comes into it at all. There’s one novel, ‘Cell’, and this short story. It’s been too long since I read ‘Cell’ so I can’t really comment on that but I always enjoy revisiting ‘Home Delivery’ and can’t help but think that maybe King should have stopped his foray into zombie fiction after finishing this story. It’s pretty much perfect from where I’m sat, nothing else needs to be said.

I’ve always said that the best zombie fiction isn’t so much about the zombies themselves, rather the survivors and the questions that they must answer in order to survive. King follows this rule almost to the letter. The zombies get their time, of course, and the growing horror of their presence is deftly handled with no explanations given, just a threat that must be faced (and those last moments in space are ‘must read’ moments). Where the story really shines though is watching Maddie’s rite of passage moment as she learns first hand that a zombie infestation requires prompt action if you don’t want to end up joining them. ‘Home Delivery’ is the perfect ‘zombie read’ and you should read it if you haven’t already. You can find it in this collection as well King’s own ‘Nightmares and Dreamscapes’.

‘Prairie’ – Brian Evenson

Page Count: 4 Pages.

I’m still feeling a little hazy, after the Covid, so short reads are always welcome right now. You feel like you’ve read something but you’re not using up too much energy doing so ;o) ‘Prairie’ though… Here’s a read that’s shorter than most but will be taking up residence, in my head, for a long time to come.

What is happening here, and why? I still couldn’t tell you the point behind the journey or where they’re headed to. The only thing I can say with certainty is that there are zombies to be met along the way but as to why they are here, nope… still no idea…

For all that though, ‘Prairie’ oozes atmosphere and the urgency to complete the journey was all the hook I needed to keep reading. And the zombies? They may raise more questions, than answers, but they remain a seemingly vital part of the landscape, with more than one use for them employed by our travellers. Sometimes, I guess zombies are just there and you have to live with them as best you can…

That’s your lot for today but while I’m here… Any zombie reading that you’d like to recommend? I’ve read a lot but I haven’t read it all so recommendations are always welcome ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.