What I’ve been watching…


I’m slowly, but surely, navigating my way through the ol’ reading slump; mostly with the help of my ‘Discworld’ collection. More on that as we head into the week…

In the meantime, when I wasn’t book-shopping, I spent most of the weekend in the front of the telly; treating my brain to a little downtime by watching some of the most ridiculous stuff that I could find on Prime. Let me tell you about some of it… ;o)

‘Sand Sharks’ (2012)

The residents of a small town team up to kill a group of evolved sharks that can swim in sand, and are terrorizing local beaches.

I didn’t really need to copy/paste any blurb, the title says it all :o) If you’re looking for something silly to watch, ‘Sand Sharks’ should be one of the first places that you visit. It’s daft but a lot of fun at the same time with many opportunities to watch the sharks snack on innocent beachgoers. That’s all I was after and that’s exactly what ‘Sand Sharks’ delivered :o)

‘The Children’ (1980)

A nuclear-plant leak turns a bus-load of children into murderous atomic zombies with black fingernails.

From the ‘daft but fun’ to the just plain ‘meh’… I’d been meaning to give ‘The Children’ a go and the best I can say now is, well… I’ve watched it.

There just isn’t enough in ‘The Children’ to make things interesting (I finished the movie more out of a sense of duty than interest). The ‘atomic death’ makeup is pretty cool but that’s about it. Characterisation is practically non-existent and the ratio of searching for the children to actually meeting them swings far too much in the favour of the boring bits. I won’t be giving ‘The Children’ another go.

‘Trucks’ (1997)

Based on the short story by Stephen King, a group of seemingly humanistic trucks takeover a truck stop and start killing everything in sight. The remaining townsfolk must band together and come up with a way to murder the inanimate objects, a seemingly difficult task considering the abnormal circumstances.

This wasn’t bad but I really should have watched ‘Maximum Overdrive’ again (which is a lot more fun). ‘Trucks’ takes things a lot more seriously and it kind of works but not quite. I liked the ending though, that was cool.

‘Jurassic Games’ (2018)

Every year, ten of the world's most dangerous criminals are chosen to compete for their freedom in The Jurassic Games, a virtual reality television show where contestants must survive in a world full of Velociraptors, T-Rexes and other ferocious dinosaurs. Die in the game, and you die in real life. The last one left alive will be crowned the winner, and be granted freedom, fame and fortune.

I was cheating a little here as I’ve seen ‘Jurassic Games’ before and knew it was just what I needed. And… ‘Jurassic Games’ was still what I needed. Here’s a movie that knows exactly what it is and still isn’t afraid to have a death row convict karate kick a Velociraptor. I love that attitude and ‘Jurassic Games’ has plenty of it. Here’s a movie that will have a place on my ‘Re-Watch List’ for a while to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.