‘Snowcastles’ – Duncan McGeary (Tower)


Page Count: 160 pages.

I came across this book during my ‘Birthday book shopping’ trip and was immediately intrigued. The cover art by itself would have been enough for me to pick the book up, definitely another ‘sword and sorcery’ book that rode the crest of a ‘fantasy boom’ and then slowly sunk over time, eventually ending up in a secondhand book shop in Brockley. I love the thought that books are printed and then each one goes off on a journey that will more than likely outlast many of its owners, but anyway…

The title also caught my eye. Those snow castles have got to be pretty impressive if they’re the whole title, don’t they…? And wouldn’t our barbarian friend on the cover just be really cold all the time?

I finally finished ‘Snowcastles’ a couple of days ago, about a month after picking it up. I’m not the slowest reader so a month to read 160 pages should tell you all you need to know about this book. If you want a bit more though, here goes...

Prince Greylock, the last surviving heir to the throne of the High Plateau, is banished from his frozen mountain homeland of Godshome by his uncle, the Tyrant. Determined to gain the kingdom that is rightfully his, Greylock descends into the dreaded Gateway to the Underworld, and the clammy caves of cursed demons, to gather allies and win back his inheritance.

But his uncle's vicious steward, the evil magician Redfrock, will not rest until the bloodline is terminated with Greylock's death. Greylock meets and bonds with Moag, a traveling Fire-Wizard, and the lovely Mara. Together thy plunge into the mysterious Twilight Dells to escape Redfrock's pursuit. It is there, in the Dells, that Greylock discovers his true destiny and faces his greatest challenge!

I think the fairest thing to say here is that ‘Snowcastles’ feels like it was part of a larger book that was cut in two for some reason or another. Everything in it is building up to not only the finale but also ‘big reveals’ that are promised in the sequel ‘Icetowers’. I can get behind that approach, in general, but the problem here is that the plot is very lopsided as a result. There is a lot of wandering and a lot of wondering as well (sorry, couldn’t help it) as questions are raised and then left by the side of the road as the journey continues. And there’s a lot of walking for a book that isn’t particularly long, which wouldn’t be so bad if there was a little more to the characters but there isn’t. Everyone is planning for the future but I really needed them to be interesting now as well…

There’s a lot of buildup then to a finale that is over before you’ve had a chance to really get into it. You’re left with the promise of answers to come in ‘Icetowers’ but I’m not sure ‘Snowcastles’ did enough to get me to actively go and find the book. If I see it, I’ll pick it up (I hate leaving a series unfinished) but I’m in no big hurry. That’s the best you’ll get from me. I liked the setting, and some of the worldbuilding around it, but the plot itself was a letdown. Has anyone here read ‘Icetowers’? Was it any good?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.