More movies, mostly bad zombie ones…

Saturday was about flat hunting (one decent one, fingers crossed, and one erm… shoebox) and hanging out with my daughters. A little bit of reading happened but we’ll talk about that in the next day or so. Sunday was mostly spend waiting for a large headache to pack its bags and leave; no reading then but a lot of time spent in my favourite comfy chair, watching awful zombie films.

If there’s a zombie film that I haven’t watched yet, well… it’s only a matter of time before I do and now that Prime Video has finally cottoned on to my viewing habits, it’s recommending me a whole load of dodgy zombie films to watch. You know the ones that I mean ;o)

Like I said, I have to watch them all, I have no choice in the matter. Let me quickly tell you about them…

‘Zombieworld 3’ (2020)

In the wake of a terrible virus that claimed most of the human population, zombies have risen but humans continue to survive. Now the zombies face a threat of their own, Naked Zombie Girl!’

Seriously, I really will watch anything with zombies in it, just so I can say that I did.

Take four short ‘zombie’ films and one that seems to have been lumped in with those four, even though I’m pretty sure there weren’t any zombies in it (maybe I just missed them). Nothing connects these four films apart from the fact that while they are all short, they somehow seem to drag on at the same time; the pacing is absolutely shot to hell. None of them are particularly scary but they do bring out how the zombie apocalypse can be tedious in many ways, short bursts of action followed by a lot of waiting. Not a good look for a film.

Bung all of that together and you’ve got ‘Zombieworld 3’. Still not the worst zombie movie I’ve ever seen (this will always be ‘Hard Rock Zombies’) but definitely one that I have no plans to watch ever again. And while the woman was naked, she wasn’t a zombie at all and it was very much the chainsaw, not the nakedness, that was the threat to the zombies. ‘Chainsaw Lady’ would have been a more accurate description.




‘Prisoners of the Dead’ (2011)

After a deadly gas leaks into the air, a group of lawmen and convicts find themselves stuck between survivors of a zombie apocalypse and the bloodthirsty undead.

‘Prisoners of the Dead’ is only 46 minutes long so I thought I had nothing to lose by giving it a shot. As it turned out… I was half right.

From the start, I had high hopes for ‘Prisoners’ as the opening bits are almost exactly the same as one of my favourite zombie comics, ‘Zombies!Feast’. It was glorious and I had my heart set on a film adaptation which… it turned out not to be. The second part of the movie was more ‘Walking Dead’ Season 3 and not did that not work (‘Walking Dead’ did it far better) but the two bits just didn’t really gel. As a result, the rest of the movie meandered along, not really knowing what to do but trying to keep its cast safe at the same time. Great opening 15 minutes then but the rest was a disappointment.





‘Undead Apocalypse’ (2012)

A bio-attack by terrorists causes a sudden zombie outbreak. A small group of survivors at a university struggles to reach a professor’s lab where a possible cure to the pathogen resides.

I’ll be honest. ‘Undead Apocalypse’ did its job but there was nothing in it that grabbed me and held my attention. It swiftly became a movie that was background noise while I played on my phone and, at one point, had a little nap. If ‘Undead Apocalypse’ had been a good movie, I would have watched it and if it had been a bad movie, I would have at least paid more attention to it than I did. It was just… there, I guess. Not a movie I’d watch again, I’d have to remember it first.




‘After the Pandemic’ (2022)

Following a global airborne pandemic that wiped out 90% of the Earth’s population, two young female scavengers struggle to survive in the post-apocalyptic world, encountering dangers at every turn while being hunted by the merciless stalkers.

By this point, I was totally done with zombie movies and Amazon (almost shamefacedly) suggested I give this a go so… I did. A palate cleanser if you will ;o)

‘After the Pandemic’ was another movie that didn’t rise too far above ‘just doing its job’ but had enough action and an interesting dynamic, between the two leads, to keep me interested. Again, I’m not sure that I’d watch it again but it was a good way to end the day’s telly watching ;o)

What have you been watching recently and do you think it’s worth me checking it out? It will be no surprise that I’m looking for stuff to watch that isn’t bad zombie movies…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.