‘Conan: Lord of the Mount’ – Stephen Graham Jones (Titan Books)

Page Count: 46 Pages, give or take a few for adverts etc.

This was originally going to be a totally different post but I’ll be honest, I fell asleep last night (the best time for it, to be fair) and that post never happened. I don’t regret it, I was tired 😉

I’ve really got into what Titan Comics are doing, with their turn on the Conan licence, so when I heard that Titan Books were also in on the action, it didn’t take too much for me to be part of that as well. I suspect that their series of ‘Conan’ short stories will be collected, at some point, but for now, I thought I’d follow them as they are released monthly. First up was ‘Lord of the Mount’ by Stephen Graham Jones, an author
whose horror output I’ve enjoyed. Just quick thoughts and impressions to follow as this was a very short read.

Awakening covered in blood, the sole survivor of a doomed raiding party, Conan sets out for the taverns, women, and ale of Trinnecerl. To reach the village, however, he must pass ruins scattered with the shattered helmets, broken blades, and bones of untold victims—as well as the hideous creature that left them, the Lord of the Mount. 

I’ve read a few reviews, here and there, from people who didn’t enjoy ‘Lord of the Mount’ for varying reasons. I’ll put myself on the other side of that line and not just because I’d always rather new ‘Conan stories than none at all. New ‘Conan’ tales will always be held up against the originals and inevitably not hit that target. ‘Lord of the Mount’ is no different here but is still a great way to pass half an hour if you want some ‘Sword & Sorcery’ in your reading diet. The lack of context makes ‘Lord of the Mount’ a little difficult to get into but then you get onto Conan going up against a monster in a creepy old ruined castle and really, that’s all I needed. Jones delivers the action when it’s needed but where he really hit the target, for me, was in giving ‘Lord of the Mount’ that dash of otherworldly horror that all the best Conan stories have. I’m talking both in terms of that sinister ‘dark pre-history vibe’ but also having the Lord mimic Conan’s speech… You could see it unsettle Conan and yep, I felt the same way.

I’m glad I gave ‘Lord of the Mount’ a shot, it ended up being just what I needed and that’s all you can ask for really. If Stephen Graham Jones ever fancies writing more ‘Conan’, I’d read it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.