‘Conan #2’ – Zub, De La Torre, White (Titan Comics)


Fingers crossed, things are hopefully starting to calm down a bit. The exam stuff is out of the way, work is slowing down a tad and yesterday, my flat hunting reached a successful conclusion. I’m not looking forward to moving but I am looking forward to living in my new place, it’s lovely (expensive but lovely 😉 ) My reading has definitely taken a hit over the last few days but I have managed to finish a couple of bits. I’ll tell you all about ‘Valdor’ (by Chris Wraight) in the next day or so but right now, we’re back with Conan and all those zombies… I’ve managed to get to #2 which means that there’s perhaps another three single issues to go before I fold and end up getting the collected trade edition instead; or maybe not, let’s see…

Conan and Brissa have left the massacre at Hauler’s Roam and are tracking the zombie horde as it tears through Cimmeria. What else will they find, on the way, though?

The short answer is, well… not an awful lot that’s new actually. That’s the problem with zombies; you point them somewhere and they just keep plodding on, eating whatever is in their way. Or do they? There are enough hints from this ‘Tribe of the Lost’ (yep, I read the ‘small print intro’ at the start, it had been a while since #1) to suggest that there’s a little more to them than just ‘shamble and eat’. It’s all being built up gradually but we’re getting just enough to keep things interesting and of course, there’s always Conan and Brissa to stir things up at the right moments. No big surprises then but Zub keeps things ticking over right up until the last few pages where he neatly riffs on my favourite theme of Howard’s, letting the reader know that there is so much history, in this land, that will never be told. The weight of ages hides real horror but that’s one for the next issue, that last page leaves you hanging and you know that you’ll be back for #3. I will be.

I’m running the risk of repeating myself over the artwork so I’ll keep things brief here. The artwork is as awesome as ever and Dean White’s colours hit the target, nothing against Villarrubia at all but it’s like White was here the whole time (if that makes any sense, I’m rubbish at talking art and colours).

‘Conan the Barbarian’ #3 doesn’t do a lot that’s new then but, it doesn’t really need to. I’m looking forward to seeing what’s inside that Black Tower…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.