'Blood Sands' – Victoria Hayward (Black Library)


The weekend was a number of things (mostly making sure my kids each got a fair go on the PS4, easier said than done, with occasional breaks for food) but one thing it certainly wasn't was conducive to actually getting any reading done. I wouldn't swap it at all but sometimes, all I want is some time to myself where I can really make a dent in the TBR pile... But anyway.

I got the bus back last night and used the time to get stuck into another Black Library short story on the ol' Kindle. The Imperial Guard (yeah I know but it's late and I have a habit of 'overspelling' Militarum if I'm not careful...) have a few new stories out and doing the rounds and I never need much of an excuse to read a 'Guard' book. I'd also never read anything by Victoria Hayward so 'Blood Sands' pretty much chose itself as my next read. And once I'd finished 'Blood Sands', I went straight back to Amazon and bought 'The Carbis Incident', same author, so that ought to tell you what kind of a read 'Blood Sands' was. If you need a little more than that though, keep reading... ;o)

The 'Dune Eagles' regiment are fighting a losing battle on a desert world, against a Genestealer Cult that seem to know the regiment's movements before they are made. Has the regiment itself been infiltrated by the Cult and if so, how far does the corruption spread?

I've always enjoyed short stories and am in awe of the ones where the writer throws as much as they can at the page, and it all sticks. 'Blood Sands' is very much one of those stories and yes, everything that Hayward throws at the page not only sticks but all works together to provide a thoroughly engaging tale that's fronted up by a just as engaging lead. You're left in no doubt what it means to Itoh to complete this mission and I couldn't help but get behind that. Well played 'Blood Sands', well played...

One part war story, one part mystery and one glorious part a little homage to the 'Alien' movies. You never go into the infirmary but I'm glad Itoh did, those scenes absolutely played me like a... I'm not really good at naming instruments, lets just say I had no choice but to keep reading.

That was the case for the whole thing though. The mystery kept me intrigued and the war story kept things moving along nicely from 'Alien' moments to the eventual conclusion. It was just what I was after :o)

I already mentioned that I've gone and found myself a copy of 'The Carbis Incident', I'll be sure to let you know how that pans out and sooner rather than later I reckon. What I haven't said though is that 'Blood Sands' looks like it has deliberately left open-ended and with a Commissar who looks like she just wants to shoot someone and two soldiers with a score to settle... I hope we get to hear more from the 'Dune Eagles'...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.