'Blood Bowl: More Guts, More Glory!' - Kyme, Jadson, Guerra, Bowland (Titan Comics)


What should have been last Friday's post becomes the first post of this week instead :o) Friday was a bit of a write off, at least as far as blogging went, so instead of trying to force it, I thought I'd save this quick post for a day when things were going to be a little on the heavy side... Funnily enough, a day like today.

A few of the miniatures to one side, I was very much an outsider looking in when Games Workshop was doing it's thing in the eighties and nineties so I missed Warhammer 40k, Warhammer Fantasy and Blood Bowl. I got there in the end though, by way of the Black Library's prodigious output, and while I've read a fair bit of 40k, Warhammer Fantasy and Age of Sigmar, I've never seen any representation for Blood Bowl so I thought I'd have a look and see what I could find.

It turns out that there wasn't a lot to be had, at least on Amazon. Out of a choice of something like two books, I went for 'More Guts, More Glory!' and, well...

Bone crunching sports action in an unforgiving fantasy world... Blood Bowl is the most vicious and dangerous football tournament you'll ever encounter!

Dive into the action on and off the pitch, as a rag-tag team of humans, the Hochland Harbingers, attempt to claw their way to the top of the Blood Bowl League! Can Dreng Strumbold, a former star player, help the Harbingers fend off the terrifying opposition... or will it all end in Chaos?

Back in the day, when a book didn't work for me, I'd take great pleasure in ripping it to pieces. These days? I'm a little more chilled out about the whole thing, maybe even wise enough to realise that it might just be me who is the problem rather than the book. 'More Guts, More Glory!' really didn't work for me, at all, but only having the most passing of acquaintances with Blood Bowl, maybe that's not such a huge surprise.

It didn't help though that the artwork, good as it was, was just a little too chaotic when I really needed to see what was going on in the game itself. And yeah, I know that's the whole point of the game but for me, Jadson was doing his job a little too well. I knew who won but didn't have the slightest idea why.

And the plot...? Well, it does it's job (which is mainly about filling in the gaps between games) but there wasn't nearly enough meat on it to keep me really engaged and interested. Pages were being turned but more out of a sense of duty than anything else.

I can't help but wonder how I would have found this book if I'd come to it as a 'Blood Bowl' player (tabletop and/or PC etc). I suspect I would have got a lot more out of it than I did coming to it as I was, that wouldn't have been hard though. Maybe bear that in mind before you pick it up, possibly one for fans only...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.