A Couple of Films that I've watched...

It’s that time again where I remember that I’m paying for a ‘Shudder’ subscription and I really should try watching a few films every now and then… Work and well, everything else hasn’t left me with an awful lot of time to just sit and watch a movie but then I realised that I had to make that time for myself (life can find an awful lot of things for you to do but it never gives you any time off, that’s on you to find…) So… here I am after sitting down and watching a couple of films, here to tell you all about it 😉 Just a couple of films and more quick thoughts, mostly because there wasn’t an awful lot to them. Fun to watch but pretty lightweight and that wasn’t a bad thing actually. Sometimes that’s just what I need 😊

But anyway, here goes…

‘Slash/Back’ (2022)

In a small village just 31 miles south of the Arctic Circle, a group of teenage girls must fight off an alien invasion using only makeshift weapons and their horror movie knowledge.

Now here was an odd movie… Well, odd in that it wasn’t quite engaging enough to sit all the way through but every time I turned it off, I found myself wondering what happened next… So on it went again and the cycle began anew. Anyway…

‘Slash/Back’ was fun though, once the aliens found their way back to the mainland and things really kicked off. Loads of cool visuals and a decent jump scare or two to be had (along with a hearkening back to ‘The Thing’ that I enjoyed). It was a bit of a shame that the cast didn’t quite hold up their end of the deal but it wasn’t so bad as to take away from the rest of the film (and I'm not a teenage girl so probably missed a whole load in their performance anyway) so, yep, I probably wouldn’t watch ‘Slash/Back’ again but overall, I’m glad I gave it a go.


‘The Lair’ (2022)

When a Royal Air Force pilot is shot down, she finds refuge in an abandoned underground bunker where deadly man-made biological weapons are awakened.

This was a bit more like it… ‘The Lair’ doesn’t do anything new, not one thing, but it knows it audience and delivers everything it needs to, namely hails of gunfire and soldiers having various bits bitten off by monsters (and you know it’s coming but when it happens, it kind of takes your breath away a little as they really go for it on the gore, every dead soldier checks out in a memorable way). And… that’s it but it’s more than enough to be going on with if you want a short(ish) sharp dose of action/horror. Which was exactly what I wanted so I was happy 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.