‘Willow’: Season 1, Episode 3 – ‘The Battle of the Slaughtered Lamb’


I’ve been all over the place today, heading into work when I really didn’t need to (long story) and then heading back across town to catch my youngest’s school play (which I absolutely had to do). Fun was had, chilli was eaten afterwards and work is slowly being caught up on. It hasn’t left a lot time for reading though, I’ve got a couple of books on the go and am planning on finishing one of them for a post tomorrow, but I did watch the latest episode of ‘Willow’ over the weekend (finally) so figured why not post about that instead? 😉 I’ll be honest, while I enjoyed the first two episodes, I’d completely forgotten that it was on and a new episode had dropped; which probably says a lot about this show and I. I watched ‘The Battle of the Slaughtered Lamb’ and… I don’t know, all of a sudden I’m not that sure…

No sooner has Elora Danan got a little magic under her belt then she is kidnapped by Commander Ballantine under the orders of the Crone. The others must find her and enact a rescue but tragedy is about to strike…

So yeah, ‘The Battle of the Slaughtered Lamb’ was alright… Some nice swordplay and were-rats! I liked the were-rats actually, in particular the way that Kit was struggling to make her struggle look engaging so went for the ‘hold the model monster up to my throat and thrash around a bit’ approach. If you’re going to carry on telling a story from the eighties, I guess it makes sense to keep the practical effects as well.  I shouldn’t knock it too much, these were fun moments that were just like the movie for me. Nothing too challenging, just some cool stuff that’s easy to watch. And there are some good relationships starting to develop as well, all of a sudden, characters are becoming a lot more engaging and that’s never a bad thing. I notice that Boorman is at the heart of everything that’s going on so hopefully that bodes well for the future. We’ll see.

So what was up then? I don’t know… Maybe I was just after a little more from my TV, the other night, and that’s not fair really, ‘Willow’ deserves to be judged on it’s own merits and not on what I wish it was. It is following it’s predecessor very closely though, in terms of style anyway. There is danger but it is all handled very gently and it’s probably fair to say that this wasn’t what I needed the other night. Wrong show, wrong time. No-one’s fault, just one of those things. I’m not sure if that approach will hold up over a full season though, not once all the fans have got their heads round seeing ‘Willow’ finally become a TV show. Go on ‘Willow’, take a few risks… 😉

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Mad God' (2021)

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.