What I've been watching...

Sorry about the lack of blogging over the weekend... I had my Covid booster shot, on Friday, and it knocked me out for all of Saturday and a large chunk of Sunday as well. Still, it's better than the alternative which knocks you out for a lot longer.

So no reading for me then but I did take some time to get acquainted with Netflix and see what was what. It turns out that there's a lot on Netflix, for the likes of me, certainly enough for me to keep my subscription for a while at least ;o) Have some quick thoughts on what I managed to watch while I finish off some reading and sort myself out for the week ahead...


The New Legends Of Monkey'(Season 1)'

One of the reasons I'm into what I'm into is that around about the end of the nineteen seventies, my folks sat a very young me in front of a show called 'Monkey Magic' and left me to it. I had no idea what it was about (still don't to be honest) but I loved it anyway, all that shouting and fighting was enough for me ;o)

When I heard there was a 'rebooted' version of 'Monkey', I was absolutely up for it, for nostalgia's sake really, but it took me until this weekend to remember that it was Netflix. I've gone through one out of the two seasons and... If I had to choose between 'Monkey Magic' and 'New Legends', 'Monkey Magic' would always win but 'New Legends' was still a lot of fun and I'll definitely watch Season 2 to see how it pans out. I'm still not sure about the show moving away from its Japanese origins but at it's core, 'New Legends' is still about an egotistic Monkey God trying to find his way in a new world while Tripitaka tries to make sure that he does the right thing. Fights etc ensue and it turns out that's all I needed for this show to work ;o) Like I said, watching Season 2 is a formality now.


'Geostorm'

I love 'natural disaster' movies, can't get enough of them. The more tidal waves, volcanos and earthquakes, the better as far as I'm concerned. 'Geostorm' looked like it would have loads of that and to be fair, it did but somehow managed to miss the target for 'Disasters Depicted', 'Threatening Conspiracy' and 'Estranged Family Making Up'. And I know that last one was a spoiler but you're not going to watch 'Geostorm' anyway so... ;o) I don't know how the movie could miss such easily attainable goals but... Here we are.

'Geostorm' is one of those films that I'll watch all the way through, just to punish my brain for suggesting the idea in the first place. Don't be like me, don't watch 'Geostorm'.


'The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf'

I know next to nothing about 'The Witcher' (I've read one of the books but that's it) so thought it might be an idea to take a look at 'Nightmare of the Wolf' first, a feature length animation that looks a period of 'Witcher History' before Geralt went and, well... whatever he did next (I told you, I don't know...) This tale raises a pretty good question about the Witcher's business model and follows it through to an appropriately bloody and monstrous conclusion. I had trouble following the plot but am putting that down to it being the end of the day and my being full of Covid jab ;o) If you're a 'Witcher' fan than I reckon you've seen this already but if you haven't, definitely give it a look.


'Valley of the Dead'

You know me, if there's a zombie film that I haven't seen then it won't stay like that for long ;o) When I saw 'Valley of the Dead' pop up then, I had to watch it.

This tale of 'Nazi created zombies' eating people whether they're Nazis or not, is a movie of two halves. As a zombie film, 'Valley of the Dead' works very well with the sense of creeping dread (followed by massive jump scares) that all good zombie movies pull off. As far as the more irreverent side of it went, well... That was more 'miss' than 'hit', at least from where I was sat. Overall, 'Valley of the Dead' was a decent watch but could have been so much better if it stuck to what it was good at.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.