‘The Somewhere Sister’ & ‘The Pharisene Paradox’ (Black Library)

I’m not quite sure where the weekend went, I’ve just been left with a sense that it was really busy (that and some new Doctor Who figures on my shelf)…

Good aren’t they? I really like the UNIT soldiers actually, but anyway… There wasn’t time for a lot of reading, over the weekend, but I did make a little time to try and catch up with the latest round of Warhammer Horror short stories. I think I’ve got a couple more to find but this is the closest I’ve got to being up to date, with a new set of releases, so I’m feeling a little proud of myself for being on the ball 😉

Quick thoughts then, mostly because these are short stories but also because it has been a hell of a day (again…) and I’ve got half an eye on some pizza and a Doctor Who DVD. In the meantime, lets talk some Warhammer Horror…

 

‘The Somewhere Sister’ – Jeremy Lambert

A lowly innkeeper channels her grief and the weight of her trauma into a mysterious mirror…

How can a story with such an unengaging lead keep me so hooked…? Because that’s just what ‘The Somewhere Sister’ did. I really couldn’t care less about Vendriel the Aelf  but the creeping dread leading up to the moments that she found herself in, and those moments themselves… Wow, they were worth the price of entry on their own. Really creepy build-up  and some vivid body-horror made for a story that grabbed me far more than the first couple of pages suggested. To be filed under ‘Glad I Gave It A Go’.


‘The Pharisene Paradox’ – R.S. Wilt

An Interrogator of the Holy Ordos comes face to face with the unexpected on a deserted void ship…

I liked the concept but I thought Wilt gave the game away a little too early to be really effective. It wasn’t a bad read though, there nice ‘all alone on a spaceship… or are you?’ moments that did the job and a nice element of uncertainty, around the end, which held my attention just when it was needed. It was just a shame about the timing but like I said, not a bad read at all.

And that's your lot for today I'm afraid, lets see if I can come up with a longer post tomorrow...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.