‘Terrifier 2’ (2022)


I’ve been on the fence about watching ‘Terrifier 2’ and mostly because of ‘Terrifier 1’, not a bad movie but light on plot and a film that absolutely turned my stomach. Seriously, that film was grim (in a good way but…) But anyway…

The other reason that I’ve held off watching Terrifier 2’ was the run time of two hours and eighteen minutes. Anything over say an hour and forty minutes and my attention will wander so I won’t lie, that extra forty(ish) minutes did give me pause. And also, how much run time is needed for a story that’s essentially a clown killing people? (That ended up being a really silly question but more on that later…)

Having said all of that though, of course I was always going to watch it, especially when I heard tales of people having adverse reactions at the screenings, I always take that kind of thing as a challenge to be honest 😉 So last night, I ordered some pizza in and got down to watching ‘Terrifier 2’…

After being resurrected by a sinister entity, Art the Clown returns to the timid town of Miles County where he targets a teenage girl and her younger brother on Halloween Night…

While I’d still question whether there’s enough story here to warrant the run time, I ended up having a lot of fun with ‘Terrifier 2’ and not just because I’m an unashamed gorehound either. ‘Terrifier 2’ doesn’t go to the same levels of gore as its predecessor but it doesn’t hold back either, it’s more than willing to do what’s needed to shock and hold the viewer’s attention. I couldn’t take my eyes off the screen, both because of what Art the Clown does to his victims and also because he is such a compelling character in his own right. He doesn’t say a word but he doesn’t need to, not when his face is so expressive. David Howard Thornton makes for a brilliant Art the Clown and I’d quite happily watch him in any sequels (I’m sure there will be sequels). But back to that gore… Like I said, ‘Terrifier 2’ doesn’t hold back and that’s something you might want to bear in mind before watching it yourself.

It’s not just the gore though (although that’s what will bring most viewers in); ‘Terrifier 2’ is a genuinely creepy film that draws you in with the promise that anyone can die because Art can be so unpredictable that not even he knows who will die until the moment that he kills them. Cue loads of drawn out moments where anything could happen and… sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. That’s the beauty of it and that’s what kept me watching.

It also really helps that there’s more of a plot this time round; admittedly a lightweight one (Art’s murder spree does a lot of the heavy lifting) but it gives everything a little more context, that and the hints at what makes Art tick give you a bit more to think about and that is never a bad thing.

Could ‘Terrifier 2’ have stood to have lost half an hour off the runtime and been a tighter film for it? Maybe… That depends on where you stand re. murderous clowns taking their time over their victims. Having watched it all the way through, I’m actually leaning towards the run time being just right. If you enjoyed ‘Terrifier’ then you’re in for an evil treat with ‘Terrifier 2’.

Here’s the trailer if you haven’t seen it…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Day of Ascension’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.

‘Deathworlder’ – Victoria Hayward (Black Library)