TV and Movie Catchup...

Amongst the pet watching (and pet calming after having to remove the rabbit from behind the drinks cabinet...) and other bits and pieces, I managed to catch up on a few bits on Prime over the weekend. While I try and get my head round Joe Lansdale's 'The Drive-In' (which was awesome but I can't just say that for a whole post, can I?), have some quick thoughts on what I managed to watch. Really quick thoughts, I'm waiting for my pizza to show up...


'My Best Friend's Exorcism' (2022)

It's 1988 and teen best friends Abby and Gretchen are having to confront the fact that Gretchen will be moving away. Before they can deal with that though, there's the small matter of Gretchen's demonic possession to take care of first...

I enjoyed this film so much that I went straight out and bought the book after I'd finished watching :o) That should pretty much tell you everything you need to know... What, you want more? You know what? It was nice to see the horror moments take centre stage here rather than the nostalgia for the eighties. I mean, I don't mind the eighties (now that we're well into 2022 and getting further away from that decade all the time) but I wanted horror and the supernatural, not nostalgia. And that's what I got, and it was properly creepy so I was a happy viewer ;o)



.'John Carpenter's Vampires' (1998)

Jack and his team of mercenaries must hunt down vampires and retrieve the Black Cross of Berziers, an ancient relic that, should it be obtained by vampires, will allow them to endure the sunlight.

My quest to watch all of John Carpenter's movies finally took in 'Vampires' and... it was alright... It looked brilliant on the screen but the plot was pretty light and struggled to fill in all that background. Not a bad movie but I've definitely seen better from Carpenter.


'The Sword and the Sorcerer' (1982)

A mercenary with a three-bladed sword rediscovers his royal heritage's dangerous future when he is recruited to help a princess foil the designs of a brutal tyrant and a powerful sorcerer in conquering a land.

Last but by no means least... I finally managed to stay awake long enough to give this film the attention that it deserved. And it did deserve it :o) 'The Sword and the Sorcerer' does nothing new, at all, but a three bladed sword that shoots blades makes up for an awful lot. Here's a movie that's a lot of fun and doesn't pretend to be anything else, and that's what I was after. 'The Sword and the Sorcerer' is on Prime, give it a go ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.