‘Trick ‘r Treat’ (2007)


I haven’t been so good with this in recent years (Halloween being more about following my kids around the streets while they do Trick or Treat) but I do like to pop on a scary(ish) movie, on the day, and have a watch 😊 Not a lot of difference from most other days, I know, but… it’s Halloween 😉 ‘Trick ‘r Treat’ isn’t the scariest film ever but it’s an ‘anthology’ movie (and you know how I am with those) and I’ve got a bit of a soft spot for it anyway so I thought I’d make it the first of my ‘Halloween’ movies today. First? Yep, I’m planning on a couple more if I’m not on ‘Trick or Treat’ duty tonight. We’ll see how that pans out but in the meantime…

Four separate tales regarding a secret serial killing high-school principal, a college girl virgin, a woman who hates Halloween as much as her husband loves it and a group of school kids who carry out a wickedly sadistic prank. As the night unfolds, danger descends, as unspeakable things roam free and the townsfolk must do all they can in order to survive.

‘Trick ‘r Treat’ is not a particularly scary movie at all, creepy but not scary. The stories are well told but all of them are signposted just that little bit too heavily for the ‘twist’ to register anything more than a mild ‘damn…’ from this viewer. I don’t know, maybe I’m just jaded this year, it’s not the first time I’ve watched this movie either so maybe that’s part of it too. I don’t know…

Having said that then, how come I’ve got such a soft spot for ‘Trick ‘r Treat’? Because I really do you know, it wasn’t my first watch but I still sat there and enjoyed myself, despite everything I’ve just said. What’s up with that? Well, you know how I like a horror anthology movie and ‘Trick ‘r Treat’ does deliver on that score; I particularly enjoyed how the stories twist and turn in and out of each other. This isn’t a movie like the ‘V/H/S’ movies where stories are delivered one at a time, ‘Trick ‘r Treat’ feels more organic with stories feeding off and growing out of each other. I like that and it’s part of what makes the film so creepy, that and some cleverly lit scenes with a touch of the ol’ dry ice. You know what’s coming but I guess that’s part of the whole creepy vibe, we can see it but they can’t and it’s about to come and grab them…

And then there’s Sam, the cutest little Pumpkin-headed, erm… boy? He just wants to make sure that everyone has a good Halloween and you can only do that if you follow the rules and that is where our Sam comes in. I love his sense of wicked innocence and if you’ve seen ‘Trick ‘r Treat’ then I’d imagine that you do too 😉

Not the scariest movie then (not for me anyway) but ‘Trick ‘r Treat’ makes up for it in plenty of other ways and that’s why it’s a definite favourite of mine. Now let me get a few bits done and it’s on to the next movie…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.