'Deadstream' (2022)


It's been a busy couple of days (good days but... busy, always seems to be the case during half term) and I'm looking at another busy day today so I declared last night a 'Movie Night', got some pizza in and let myself unwind a bit ;o)

I hadn't really planned on watching 'Deadstream' (the main character looked like he was designed with the sole aim of doing my head right in although that's just the mood I'm on these days) but Melanie Stone was awesome in 'V/H/S/99' so when I realised that she was in 'Deadstream' as well, well... Of course I was going to give it a shot ;o) And as it happened, I'm really glad I did. I'm not a massive fan of 'found footage' films but 'Deadstream' really worked for me and just the right blend of horror and comedy. Let me tell you about it a bit more...

After some controversy, online show 'Wrath of Shawn' is back and host Shawn is all up for earning some money by facing up to his deepest fears, including staying overnight in a haunted house. That's what tonight's show is all about and Shawn is betting his sponsor deals against his nerve. What's inside the house though, wants Shawn to stay even longer... Who will win out by the end of the show and will Shawn finally move out from under the controversy and redeem himself?

Like I said up the post, I'm not the biggest fan of 'found footage' films. Shaky cameras to one side, I find them a little contrived and yes, I'm still thinking of the bit in 'The Blair Witch Project' where the map gets thrown in the river, of course they were going to get lost without a map! And breathe... But anyway ;o) 'Deadstream' may be 'found footage' but it's the first 'found footage' movie to go into my list of 'found footage' films that I like. The concept is key to the plot (although is it 'found footage' if it's streamed live? I don't know...) but the plot is very much about just getting on with it and I like that. What we get is a well balanced mix of horror and comedy with some decent jump scares alongside a vein of humour that flits in and out when you least expect it, a brilliant way of keeping you ever so slightly unsettled and on your toes. I loved the way that Shawn and his online audience played off each other (and that is where a lot of the humour lands) with parts of that audience either desperate to help or just flat out believing that any of it is real. Again, it keeps you guessing and you can't help but smile wryly at those online keyboard warriors looking for a fight.

Joseph Winters' Shawn didn't do my head in after all, he actually ended up being a bit of a 'hero' that I couldn't help but get behind . We've all been in that spot where all you can do is give a big grin and bounce back and he's a stronger character than he gives himself credit for. Melanie Stone was brilliant again and I don't want to give too much away so I'll leave it there. Lets just say that the more horror films she does, the better as far as I'm concerned.

'Deadstream' ended up being just what I needed from last night's movie watching, scary when it wanted to be but not taking itself too seriously either. You can watch it on 'Shudder' and I don't think you'll regret it if you do ;o) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.