'Big Man Plans: Expanded Edition' – Eric Powell & Tim Wiesch (Albatross Funny Books)
'Big Man Plans' is another comic book that I used to have, back in the day, until events saw me have to trade it in (along with most of my comic book collection, dark days...) Once things were on more of an even keel, I kept an eye open for a copy but wasn't able to find one at an affordable price (not making that mistake again) until now... It had been years since I last read 'Big Man Plans' so I was almost going back into it cold; I knew there was a lot of revenge to be had but I'd completely forgotten just why. Well, last night I found out all over again and, damn...
Big Man is a little person who has been brutalized and abused his entire existence. A person born to be life’s punching bag…or so it appears. He just might also be one of the deadliest killers ever trained by (REDACTED). He might also be slightly insane. And when someone he loves is wronged, well, even the most marginalized in society can exact revenge if they don't care how they do it. This expanded edition comes with over 30 pages of added story and bonus material content!
Before we get started properly... It's probably worth me saying again that it's been years since I last read 'Big Man Plans' so the whole 'Expanded Edition' thing was lost on me. Lets just say that I couldn't spot any obvious 'joins', where added story met established story, and that's the main thing isn't it? As far as bonus material goes, I'm a real sucker for Powell's artwork so was more than happy to take a few moments, after the story ended, to take more of it in.
But, that story...
If you've read some Eric Powell, you already know that he's not afraid to tell (and illustrate) the story that needs to be told. Well... 'Big Man Plans' is a tale not only of revenge (of the darkest kind) but also what happens when you push someone so far that it's almost a relief for them when they finally snap. Yeah, ok, so even more revenge to go on top of the original serving. The end result? Powell and Wiesch take this story exactly where it needs to go but it involves some stop-offs at some very dark places along the way. And Powell doesn't hold back in the artwork either. The result is a simple tale of revenge that suddenly becomes a whole lot more as we're right there in the middle of the events that shape Big Man as well as the moments where he takes his revenge in the way that his life has shaped him to. It's a hard read, especially given the state he leaves certain people in, but it's a compelling read at the same time. We see his humanity in flashes but there's a 'point of no return' coming and you end up feeling like the least Big Man deserves is that you take that trip with him. Big Man does some vile things but when you think that's all he's ever known... I couldn't help but feel for him and I defy you not to feel the same.
'Big Man Plans' is a brutal read and that is exactly as it should be. I couldn't take my eyes off the page as Powell and Wiesch weave a tale that you may think you have read before but not like this, not dialled up to 12 (and at some points, beyond). I'm really glad that I found it again, not going to let this book go ;o)

Comments
Post a Comment