'School's Out' – Brian Keene


Yep, I know what the plan was (I only posted it on Monday) but I completely forgot to factor in it being 'New Book Deal' Day for Brian Keene's Reader Recession Relief Programme. I also completely forgot to factor in that I'd need a quick read for the bus ride home, yesterday, so really, 'School's Out' came round at just the right time ;o)

I'll be honest, being a Dad (of two fairly young children) has led me to stay away from books like 'School's Out', where the main character is of a similar age and pretty much in mortal danger. I'll think to myself, 'that one is almost as old as...' and that's it, I'm done, I can't read any more. I’m doing a read-a-long though, and I’m in it for the long haul, so I’ve got to go where it takes me. And this week… ‘School’s Out’…

Eight-year-old Alan doesn’t like going to school, but when a global pandemic leaves him orphaned, cold, starving, and lonely, he has no choice but to set out on a dangerous quest to return to his third-grade classroom.

First up, all credit to Alan for tackling the apocalypse in the way that he does; I’ve got a horrible feeling that my kids wouldn’t last as long as he does. And if that’s giving the game away a little, so be it. For me, ‘School’s Out’ was a book that was very much about the journey rather than the destination, and it’s a journey worth taking.

With a younger readership in mind than normal (‘School’s Out’ was written in conjunction with Keene’s son), Keene dials back on the more overt horror of the setting (apart from what’s taking place in his parent’s bedroom but that’s a necessary part that’s needed to drive the plot forward) which is a very effective move given the more limited view that a child would have of events. Alan is aware that the pandemic is global but his problems are more immediate. Keene takes time to guide us through Alan’s thought process, the end result being pretty much how you would expect a child to react in this situation. You might want him to move along a little faster but you can understand exactly why he doesn’t.

When he finally does, Keene does really well to show us how what is normally a short car ride can become a real journey into the unknown when an eight year old is doing it on foot for the first time. There are some real ‘heart in the mouth’ moments and I’m not going to lie, I’m still (not so secretly) hoping that Alan’s cat is going to turn up. Fingers crossed but it’s not looking good…

The ending is very much geared towards the younger end of the readership, for this book, and I think that’s exactly the way that it should be; it doesn’t diminish from the authenticity of the tale and that’s the main thing really. ‘School’s Out’ is a tale that will satisfy readers, of all ages, who (not so) secretly wonder what they’d do in that situation. It’s also a tale that doesn’t shy away from what that ultimately means though, you might just end up thinking that school isn’t so bad after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.