Catching up with some TV... 'She-Hulk' and 'The Rings of Power'

Friday ended up being a good moment to catch up on the TV that I'd been meaning to watch; a little bit of food poisoning left me in no fit state to do much else. I'm good now though ;o) I've been enjoying the hell out of 'She-Hulk' and 'The Rings of Power' so I was looking forward to a couple of hours of quality television (that and my kids are massively into 'The Big Bang Theory' at the moment, I just want to watch anything else...)

Just quick thoughts today as I've got a few other bits and pieces that I need to get done (including making a start on some of my birthday books). Here goes...

'She-Hulk, Attorney at Law' – Episodes 4 & 5

4. 'Is this not real magic?'

She-Hulk's new client Wong is suing a magician for unauthorised use of the Mystic Arts.

5. 'Mean, Green and straight poured into these jeans...'

She-Hulk discovers that Titania owns the name 'She-Hulk' and is suing her for trademark infringement.

And there I was, starting to get tired of the 'Super-Powered Court Case of the Week Approach' to the show. Having watched these two episodes back to back, it's official; I will quite happily watch She-Hulk take on all comers in the court room and try get her head round being She-Hulk in the outside world. The humour is pretty gentle but always on target and never fails to get a laugh out of me. And the show also raises a few questions about finding your way in the world when you're not part of a team that is being bankrolled by Tony Stark (the last 'Spiderman' movie also had a few things to say on this). It doesn't matter what your powers are, sometimes you don't have any choice but to keep plugging away at the day job so you can pay the bills. I love that honesty and there's plenty of that to be had here. Episode 5 is hinting at a pretty big entrance for you know who (I won't say but we've all seen the trailers...) but to be honest, I'd happily sit through more Wong and Madisynn watching 'The Sopranos' before you know who pops up. Because that is what 'She-Hulk' is about for me, ordinary things happening to extraordinary people.


'The Rings of Power' – Episode 4

'The Great Wave'

Queen Regent Míriel’s faith is tested; Isildur finds himself at a crossroads; Elrond uncovers a secret; Arondir is given an ultimatum; Theo disobeys Bronwyn.

How can a show where not a lot is actually happening leave me with so many questions...? That is what 'The Rings of Power' has done and continues to do with this episode.

I thought we were past the scene setting stage and that things would actually start to move forwards a bit; well it turns out that I was wrong and there's still a bit more scene to be set. That's ok though because like I said, there are still some questions to be asked and once they're answered... Bang! Away we go ;o) The big one is 'who is Sauron?' I'm pretty sure that he's hiding in plain sight which means one of two people (sorry, I'm not buying him being Adar although I could see it and would be happy to be proved wrong, it's just a little too obvious). Numenor's doom is coming and it's interesting to see how this is handled outside of it's more familiar place in 'The Silmarillion' (reasons why it will go and how the show is splitting up those who stay and those who leave). And we get to see Galadriel being this force of nature who absolutely will not stop in her quest to find Sauron and bring him down. I'm loving the way that when her obsession leads her into mistakes, she uses that same obsession to just bulldoze her way through until things are back on track.

And Arondir... I'm really growing to like him. He doesn't say a lot but he doesn't need to.

Episode 4 is as visually stunning as it's predecessors and if I'm starting to chafe a little at the pace, the show gives me plenty to ponder and that's a very good trade off, for now at least. I'll leave it there and see what Episode 5 has to offer next week...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.