Movie Night! What I’ve been watching recently…

Last weekend was a busy one but I still managed to find some time to watch a few movies, one ‘re-watch’ along with a couple that I’d always meant to watch and finally had the chance to do just that. I’ll be honest, the ‘re-watch’ was just as good as I knew it would be but the other two…? They were more of a mixed bag. Let me tell you all about them…


‘Childs Play’ (1988)

First up is the re-watch and I’m not going to recap the plot because, well… we all know it already don’t we? I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve watched ‘Childs Play’ but it still manages to creep the hell out of me, every single time. This is mostly because of the way that the movie draws out the moments leading up to a killing but also, you very rarely see Chucky do the deed until later on in the film. There are a lot of ‘fill the gaps in yourself’ moments, over the course of the film, and you end up freaking yourself out doing just that. Well played ‘Childs Play’, well played. The animatronics hold up really well and Brad Dourif does great voice work as Chucky (but we all knew that already). It was a safe bet that ‘Childs Play’ would do what I needed it to and it didn’t let me down.


‘John Wick’ (2014)

Here’s another where I think we can all agree that we know the plot already so I’m not going to copy and paste it here 😉 I’ve always meant to give ‘John Wick’ a go but just never quite managed to get any further than the ‘Carnage Counts’ video on Youtube. I finally managed to watch it last weekend and I have to say that I’m really glad I did. It was amazing 😊

The plot was fairly straightforward but it didn’t need to be anything other than that really, not when the visuals were just superb. And I’m counting Keanu Reeves as part of that by the way, John Wick is a ‘man of focus’ and Reeves really brings that to his performance here.

There’s not a lot to say other than that really… ‘John Wick’ was just a great film to watch and I’d like to think that I won’t leave it so long before watching the sequel. It is me though… 😉

 


‘The Hunt’ (2020)

The Hunt is set in the dark spaces of a modern America where a sinister organisation ‘removes’ societies undesirables and transports them to a remote location to be hunted for sport by the wealthy elite. However the hunters become the hunted when they capture one mysterious woman who has a powerful will to survive and the skills to exact a bloody revenge.

I don’t think I’ve ever done one of these posts where all the films were brilliant and… I won’t be starting now…

‘The Hunt’ isn’t a bad film if you just watch it as a regular ‘human hunt’ film. It has a few surprises, up its sleeve, and that’s all I want really. Just a bit of fun that isn’t too straightforward and is happy to mess with your expectations a little bit.

Where things fell down for me was the satirical element which felt just a little too lightweight, and thrown at the film instead of tailored to it, to really work for me. ‘The Hunt’ was fun then but ultimately fell short in the job that it really wanted to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.