Catching up with some 'Doctor Who'...

Because I'm not just about the old stuff ;o) Ever since the BBC closed the 'iPlayer Loophole' (and to be fair, they really had to) I've had real trouble staying up to date with the latest adventures of Jodie Whittaker's Doctor. Okay... I've fallen so far behind that the only way I figured I'd get a feel for what 'current Doctor Who' was about would be to pick up the latest 'specials' and have a watch. That and I'd get to see Daleks, I love Daleks ;o)

So while I'm studying and trying to read a few pages, of books that I actually want to read, here and there, let me tell you about 'Eve of the Daleks' and 'Legend of the Sea Devils'...


'Eve of the Daleks'

Welcome to the New Year's Eve from hell. Sarah is working – again. Nick is her only customer – again. Same old, same old. Excecpt this year, their countdown to midnight will be the strangest and deadliest they've ever known. Why is an Executioner Dalek targeting these two people in this place, on this night? Why are they having to live through the same moments over and over again? Can the Doctor, Yaz and Dan save them and will everybody survive into the New Year?

I loved ‘Eve of the Daleks’, couldn’t take my eyes off the screen while it was all going down. A really good mix of mystery and lots of running while trying to stay one step ahead of Daleks who are proving to be at least two steps ahead of the Doctor and her friends. I’m always a little wary of guest appearances but I thought that Aisling Bea was great as Sarah, playing to her strengths but not overplaying them. The real star of the show for me though was Adjani Salmon’s Nick, ready to be the hero when he needed to be but mostly trying not to appear too awkward about his unrequited crush on Sarah. You can’t help but feel for Nick and then find that you’re cheering him on as he does something amazing.

A really watchable and enjoyable episode then but am I the only person though who wanted to hear more about Jeff? Possibly 😊


'Legend of the Sea Devils'

Beneath the oceans of the 19th century lurk terrifying forces. Why has legendary pirate queen Madame Ching come searching for a lost treasure in a remote coastal village?

The Doctor, Yaz and Dan must battle against deadly sea creatures, flying pirate ships and a plan that will threaten the entire planet...

I’m not sure what happened here but I wasn’t as into this episode as I thought I would be. It looks absolutely superb but while there were some really touching moments between the Doctor and Yaz (I really want them to get together now, even though they won’t) the main plot strand just didn’t really engage me. I think it just felt a little rushed for me and I get that it’s a tough balancing act, trying to get that sense of urgency while making sure that the plot has a chance to flex its muscles. It just didn’t quite happen here though. They still haven’t figured out how to get a Sea Devil to move its mouth while talking either…

I’m probably being a little harsh on ‘Legend of the Sea Devils’, having watched it straight after the superb ‘Eve of the Daleks’, but that’s how it is. I saw enough, over both stories, though to want to properly get caught up with the adventures of Whittaker’s Doctor. I’d better get on that…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.