'Spider-Man: No Way Home' (2021)


In the spirit of 'catching up', today is going to be a 'two post day'. Well, that's the plan anyway, we'll see... I've got a bit of a 'Marvel Backlog' to contend with here and where better to start doing something about it than with 'No Way Home'? You know, that film you've all seen apart from me. Even my eldest daughter managed to see it before me so when I grabbed her the DVD, for her birthday, I figured there was no excuse to put it off any longer and grabbed a copy for myself as well. And yes, I know I could have just had it on Prime Video... I've got the rest of them on DVD so why stop there? That's my thinking anyway... ;o)

I figure I've left it long enough for everyone else to have watched 'No Way Home' so be warned that there will be spoilers cropping up here and there. If you're still with me, lets go...

For the first time in the cinematic history of Spider-Man, our friendly neighbourhood hero's identity is revealed, bringing his super hero responsibilities into conflict with his normal life and putting those he cares about most at risk. When he enlists Doctor Strange help to restore his secret, the spell tears a hole in their world, releasing the most powerful villains who have ever fought a Spider-Man in universe. Now, Peter will have to overcome his greatest challenge yet, which will not only alter his own future but the future of the Multiverse as well...

I'll be honest, if I had to make a list of all my favourite Marvel superheroes, Spider-Man would be somewhere in the middle but hovering worryingly close to that bottom tier. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I have anything against the wall crawler, he's just never been a real favourite of mine and that's why it took me so long to finally get round to watching 'No Way Home'. It's bloody typical then (no, really) that I think 'No Way Home' could well be my favourite MCU movie... It was just amazing on all the levels.

All those villains and all those Spider-Men… Alfred Molina, Willem Dafoe and Jamie Foxx reprised their roles and just stole the show, from where I was sat, although I also had a lot of time for Thomas Haden Church’s more understated performance as Sandman. It’s a great ensemble of villains all lined up to give Spider-Man the hardest time possible and the fight scenes reflect this. Not just this though, Spider-Man’s good intentions (teenage intentions?) mean that he is basically fighting himself at the same time.

It’s a good job then, that Spider-Man has a little help of his own… It’s been a while since the movie came out so, you know what I mean 😉

There’s no doubt now that Tom Holland has totally made the role his own (and he plays it with such heart as well) but it was still really cool to see Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire adding their ‘takes’ as well. It’s like you see these three characters who always thought they were doing it by themselves and then they find out they weren’t… There’s a real brotherhood thing going on here which is just lovely.

All of that then, only to see Peter Parker lose it all at the last moment… or does he? I’ve always felt that Holland’s Spider-Man was happier being a ‘friendly neighbourhood’ hero and that’s just what he gets in the end. I’m just hoping for more ‘Spider-Man’ movies now if they’re all told as well as this one. Parker deserves a break, even though he’s taking it in his stride…

And P.S.... All of this is happening and Venom is just getting drunk with Eddie Brock...? Something about that really appeals to me ðŸ˜‰

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.