Movie Night! 'Last one for a while, hopefully...' Edition

Because I really need to get some book posts up on the blog, don't I? I'd like to but I'm still getting over last week (and starting to dread next week but that's another story) and decided to let my brain just stop for a bit while it had the chance. Recharge and all that ;o)

In the meantime then, and while I try and get something read for a book post (wish me luck), here's a quick look at all the movies that I've watched this weekend. Fair warning, the ration of good to bad is about what you'd expect from me...



'Rats: Night of Terror' (1984)

225 years after the nuclear apocalypse, a biker gang find themselves trapped in an abandoned research building and under siege from man-eating rats...

Now I love my 'creature features' and I love a bit of 'siege horror' as well so this looked to be just my kind of thing. Watching it though... The gore was spot on and while the dialogue was atrocious, 'Rats' was clearly never meant to be anything other than what it is so I let that go. The casual racism and animal cruelty (which I won't go into but you should be aware of before watching this movie) were too much for me to get past. At least I can say I've finally watched 'Rats: Night of Terror' but I won't be watching it again.



'Axe Giant' (2013)

While at a first time offender's boot camp, deep in the woods, a group of young adults discover the legend of Paul Bunyan is shockingly true. Can they escape the wrath of this giant axe wielding maniac, or will Bunyan chop down everyone in his path?

Utterly ridiculous but it never pretends to be anything else so I'm giving it a pass ;o) The pace is a bit choppy but when 'Axe Giant' hits its groove, it's surprisingly watchable (although not as tense as it wants to be). I wouldn't say that it's 'so bad it's good' but it wasn't far off.



'Ready or Not' (2019)

Ready or Not follows a young bride as she joins her new husband's rich, eccentric family in a time-honored tradition that turns into a lethal game with everyone fighting for their survival

I've been meaning to watch 'Ready or Not' for what seems ages now and this weekend was just the right time to step in and give it a shot. It's more comedy than horror (which was fine by me when I watched it) and the film does fall foul of there only being so many places to hide and not enough people to die 'comedy deaths' (you know what I mean) so things can drag a bit at times. As a short, sharp burst of comedy horror though, it works more often than not and Samara Weaving was great as the slightly naïve bride forced to discover her 'inner killer' in order to survive.



'The Seed' (2022)

What starts out as weekend away in remote luxury villa turns into a tale of horror, death and alien invasion.

Every so often, I remember that I have Shudder and end up trying to find something to watch, just so I can convince myself that I'm not wasting money on the subscription. 'The Seed' is a real slowburner but when it finally kicked off, swiftly became everything that I was hoping it would be. Definitely worth a look if you have Shudder.



'Bad Kids Go To Hell' (2014)

Six prep school kids from Crestview Academy, home to the spoiled offspring of society's elite, find themselves stuck in detention on a dark and stormy Saturday afternoon. During their 8 hour incarceration, each of the six kids fall victim to a horrible "accident" until only one remains.

Proof that you really shouldn't watch stuff because it's free on Prime Video. That's all I can say really as 'Bad Kids Go To Hell' is just a forgettable movie that failed to engage my lazy, TV watching self. There was a twist but I was too apathetic to care by that point.


And that's all the movies, now lets go and see if I can actually finish a book this weekend...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)