Movie Night! 'Monsters Underwater' Edition...

I'm feeling a little better than I was yesterday but still rough. Not rough enough though, I suspect, to avoid going into work tomorrow... Oh well, at least I'm working from home and there's only the one more day until the weekend ;o)

Today then... I couldn't get into any of my books and to be honest, I'm feeling a little burnt out there what with one thing and another. I think I might just end up picking up some old favourites and building up a little stockpile over the weekend. Nope, today was about watching a couple of movies instead. As is often the case, it wasn't meant to be the case but they ended up having something in common... Giant Sea Monsters!



'Underwater' (2020)

A crew of oceanic researchers working for a deep sea drilling company try to get to safety after a mysterious earthquake devastates their deep water research and drilling facility located at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.

I saw the trailer for this, ages ago now, and thought that it sounded like my thing. Then I promptly went and forgot about it (as is also my thing) until I saw it on Disney+ this afternoon. I gave it a go and... I'm pretty non-plussed about the whole thing. An awesome 'Cthulhu' monster at the end doesn't make up for the preceding hour and a bit of 'pov shooting' that is more infuriating than tense (they're at the bottom of the sea and all sorts is getting stirred up, of course you're not going to see anything...) and 'not quite tense enough' escaping from underwater peril. The decent characters die early and we're left with one that is semi-conscious for most of the film (nice little earner for him) and two that is very difficult to give much of a shit about.

At least I can say that I gave 'Underwater' a go but I don't think I'll give it another chance.



'Deep Rising' (1998)

But luckily, 'Deep Rising' is on Disney+ as well ;o)

A group of heavily armed hijackers board a luxury ocean liner in the South Pacific Ocean to loot it, only to do battle with a series of large-sized, tentacled, man-eating sea creatures who had already invaded the ship.

Now this may have been made in 1998 (with all that entails from a CGI perspective) but I'll forgive a movie a lot when I can actually see what is going on... And more importantly, 'Deep Rising' is a lot of fun and doesn't take itself too seriously at all. Tentacles, guns and death on the high seas with a few laughs at the same time. I personally can't ask for a lot more than that. 'Deep Rising' isn't a great movie but it knows it and just gets on with doing the stuff that it knows it can do well. Fair play 'Deep Rising', fair play... ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.