'The Legend of Vox Machina' – Episodes 7-9


Episode 7 – 'Scanbo'

Episode 8 – 'A Silver Tongue'

Episode 9 – 'The Tide of Bone

I'm not going to lie but I am going to swear a little... This week has been fucking dreadful. I won't go into details, I know you're just here for the posts (and I'm cool with that, but it has and I'm glad that it's over. As a little 'well done' to myself, I ordered pizza and sat myself down for the latest three episode helping of 'Vox Machina'.

It's nice to have a show that gives you something to look forward to, each week, and 'Vox Machina' is exactly that, especially when I can time new episodes to coincide with the end of the working week. I can't lose and Episodes 7-9 turned out to be just what I needed.

The Battle for Whitestone is joined in earnest and these new episodes take us from minor skirmishes to a full on fight for the town between its residents and the contents of the local graveyard. Now, you know how much I love zombies so this was like Christmas and Birthday had come at once, especially when it is so well drawn. I liked the gradual build up of the fight and the ebb and flow of it amongst the winding streets. 'You know who is going to win but all credit to the show for making us wonder, even if it's only a little bit. Pike's return could have been an anti-climax but I was to wrapped up in Vox Machina's reaction to really care. Because that's the main thing, these guys may not be able to stand each other but there's a lot of love there, even if it comes out at the wrong moments (and I'm not talking about Scanlan *snigger*). Talking of which, we still don't have the whole story about Percy but enough has come out to keep it interesting. And I suspect that if we had been given the whole story, the Episode 9 cliffhanger wouldn't be nearly so interesting. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how that plays out next week.

It's not just the battle though, it's also the way that minor baddies are expertly placed, across the episodes, to give us close up fights that are just as intense as the big battle, maybe even more so. Professor Anders and Duke Vedmire are pure evil and Anders in particular is a difficult foe but I just love that Vox Machina have tapped into a new vein of heroism and just will not back down. It makes for some tremendous fights but it has also become a real hook to follow these adventurers who suddenly, aren't just in it for the money.

I'm not going to lie, I'm going to be really disappointed now if Vax'ildan and Keyleth don't get together (although I loved her reaction to his declaration of love, superb...) and I'm wondering if Percy is offered Whitestone, will he take it? And that's what this show has done for me, awesome adventures for a group of characters that have somehow snuck up on me and got me to care about them. I can't wait for next Friday (and not just because it's payday...)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.