'The Legend of Vox Machina' – Episodes 4-6


Episode 4: 'Shadows at the Gates'

Episode 5: 'Fates Journey'

Episode 6: 'Spark of Rebellion'

This last week, I've been 'that guy' who obsessively checks Amazon Prime for new episodes of his favourite show. That's 'The Legend of Vox Machina' by the way, it's brilliant :o) And then I realised that all I needed to do was just ask Twitter and by the time I got round to asking Twitter, I only had to wait for one more day... Thanks Twitter ;o)

So, I got there in the end :o) Let me quickly tell you about Episodes 4-6...

When we last left Vox Machina, they had managed to upset a diplomatic function and were in the process of being locked up, in their own keep, while an investigation took place. This isn't the end of it though, Percy wants revenge on the Briarwoods while the Briarwoods realise that they've left something behind that they really need...

So I settled down to watch 'Shadows at the Gate' and the next thing I knew, I was approaching the end of 'Spark of Rebellion'. Where did that hour and half (roughly) go..? On a show that took a surprisingly dark turn... It goes without saying that I loved it ( of course I did) but damn... We're not quite in 'Game of Thrones' territory but if you don't like seeing small children being hung as an example... That's all I'm saying. I guess there's still a little part of me that mistakenly thinks that just because it's a brightly coloured cartoon, it won't mess around with the adult stuff. Well, these three episodes take in trauma, loss of faith and relentless shitting on an enslaved populace. And that is before you get to all the monsters trying to take a bite out of our heroes. There is so much to get into here and I can't wait to see what happens next. Especially with those little slices of horror, like in 'Shadows at the Gates' in particular. There's some really creepy stuff happening here and it's a nice counterpoint to the humour. You don't know whether people are going to get poked fun or just plain fucked up, I like that uncertainty.

And our characters continue to grow and develop. There's still time for swearing and jokes about sex (which I will always make time for) but we're also starting to see what this group means to the people who live in it. Everyone has Percy's back, even though there's a touch of the psycho about him. The scenes between Grog and Pike brought a tiny tear to my eye and I think something really interesting is brewing between the elf twins and Keyleth. And as before, all this happens before they have a chance to get to the task at hand. Maybe it's a little bit 'soap opera' but right now, I really don't care. We've got a bunch of well drawn characters bouncing off each other and up against a real threat. You can't ask for a lot more than that apart from maybe a tasty cliffhanger to end 'Spark of Rebellion' on... Oh yeah, we have one of those too ;o)

You've probably gathered this already but if you haven't watched these three episodes yet, I think you're in for a real treat when you do ;o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.