‘The Legend of Vox Machina’ – Episodes 10-12


Episode 10 – ‘Depths of Deceit’

Episode 11 – ‘Whispers at the Ziggurat’

Episode 12 – ‘The Darkness Within’

This should have been a post that appeared over the last weekend but damn that was a weekend… I was far too busy hanging out with my kids and by the time that was over, work was on hand to give me a bit of a kicking (not too painful, work just likes to let me know that it’s important sometimes 😉 ) By the time that had sorted itself out… Well, I had to go back and watch the last three episodes all over again, just to remind myself what had happened 😊 And that wasn’t a huge chore, far from it. It was actually a bit of a treat to myself.

‘The Legend of Vox Machina’ has been a real highlight of my week, over the last few weeks, and I found myself in that slightly bittersweet place where I was really looking forward to seeing how it all came together, at the end, but at the same time being just a little bit sad that it was coming to an end. Well, for a little while, until Season 2 pops up anyway 😉 The good news is that with three episodes being dished out at a time, you get a nice run up to the end of the Season with plenty of time to tie up any loose ends. Not that there are many of these, it has to be said, the focus stays on the confrontation with the Briarwoods and the mystery of Percy’s gun (with a little detour to watch a potential romance… well…) there aren’t any surprises here, it has to be said, and your mileage will vary as to how effective that makes the story for you. For me… That slight ‘feelgood’ factor was just what I needed, after a couple of rough days, and it’s delivered with such gusto (and blood) that I found it very easy to just sit back and let the show happen to me. It’s so easy to do, especially with characters that I’ve come to really love over the course of the Season. Even Scanlan. Actually, especially Scanlan 😊

It’s also easy to do when the action literally does not stop for a second. It’s not the most original way to hold attention but when it’s done right it really works for a show and that was very much the case here. The stakes are appropriately high and even though you have a pretty good feeling how it’s all going to work out, the villains are powerful enough that you can’t help but wonder, just a little bit… Add a healthy dose betrayal (both purposeful and unwitting) and the mixture is just right for compelling viewing, it really is.

Have Vox Machina changed from their drunken beginnings? Just enough, I’d say 😊 They’re doing the right thing enough to make character development a real thing here. At the same time, there’s just enough of the bawdy irreverence about them to give me a few laughs and have me wanting to come back again and hang out with them in Season 2. I can’t wait and would happily recommend ‘The Legend of Vox Machina’ to anyone who likes to watch a bit of D&D that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

You can read my other ‘Vox Machina’ posts over Here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.