‘The Book of Boba Fett, Chapter 6: From the Desert Comes a Stranger’
Or as I prefer to call it, ‘The Episode where Boba Fett has a cameo appearance in his own show…’ Seriously. Every time I think to myself that ‘The Book of Boba Fett’ can’t surprise me, it goes and pulls a trick like this. Well played ‘Book of Boba Fett’, well played 😉 Or not… Either way, there’s one more episode to go after this and all the questions that I want answered have literally nothing to do with Boba himself (because come on, we all know he’ll be riding that Rancor).
I’m
going to get all spoilery over the next few paragraphs, just so you know. I won’t
recap the plot though, I’ll just do that thing where I link to Tor.com’s retelling
of what went down. If you’re still here, let’s go…
You know what? I actually really enjoyed this episode but the thing is, none of that was to do with Boba Fett at all. I mean, he was hardly in it, turning up briefly at a ‘gang meeting’, this was all about the Mandalorian and his Foundling instead and that was brilliant (more on that in a bit) but… Have we really reached a point with this show where Boba’s absence, and the focus falling on Djin and Grogu, is a good thing? Because that’s the thing, it worked better without him.
We’re
spending time with characters who actually mean something, who are on a path
where we want to follow them and see if they end up where we want them to. It’s
Djin and Grogu! 😊 Of course we want the best
for them. There were some really genuinely touching moments here with Djin
fighting himself, in order to do the right thing by Grogu, and the look on
Grogu’s face when he realised that Djin was on the spaceship leaving the planet…
I would have quite happily sat through another hour of this just to see those
two back together and that’s at least a million times more investment than I
have in the actual ongoing plot line. Boba will either win through or he won’t,
that’s about the limit of my interest now.
And there were ant droids who were so calming to watch and Grogu who is still a child with a child’s sense of wonder. And Cobb Vanth… He really gives the show (well, Tatooine anyway) that sense of the Old West and the dangers of frontier life when you’re trying to uphold what passes for the law. One of the reasons why I’ll be watching, next week, will be to see if he pulls through. Cad Bane looks the part but I’ll be completely honest and say that having never watched ‘The Clone Wars’, I’ve got no idea who he is. If you’re a fan then I’d imagine you loved it but that one went right over my head, I bet he’ll be in some cool fights next week though 😉
Well, that was a bloody cool episode of ‘The Mandalorian’ that had a good balance of fan service and engaging plot stuff. It’s just a bit of a shame that the actual show is ‘The Book of Boba Fett’… Lets see how it all ties up next week.
Comments
Post a Comment