'King Conan' #1 Aaron, Asra (Marvel)


Sorry for the shorter than normal post but it has been another one of those days and it has only just come to an end... Not a bad day, just really intense and I'm done now. Book reviews are on the horizon, I just need to find some time to actually do some reading! In the meantime, have some 'Conan' in comic book form...

It's been a long time since I last paid 'Forbidden Planet' a visit and I finally got a chance to take my daughters in and get them all acquainted with the geeky stuff, they loved it :o) It wasn't just all about them though, I got to explore the shelves and found some 'Conan' to take home with me. I've always been keen to see where Marvel take 'Conan', now they are holding the rights, and it turns out that they've taken him over the Western Sea, to an island full of trouble...

I'd like to think that I'll be off to the comic shop (any will do) each month to pick this title up but I've got to face up to the fact that it's me, that we're talking about here, and I'm just as likely to forget for some reason. The bottom line though is that one way or another, I will see this story through to its conclusion (either in single issues or the inevitable trade) because... DAMN there's a lot happening here.

Without giving too much away here... We're looking at a plot that comes at you from the past as well as the present with plenty of questions. Why has Conan travelled to this island and what has he left behind? This will no doubt come out over the next few issues but these tantalising hints, that we get in the meantime start to get you thinking about what could be next for Conan. Where does he go once he has realised his dream? Well, the immediate answer is obvious but it's the 'why' that I'm going to stick around for. Well, the 'why' and the awesome fight scenes of course ;o)

Conan faces off against an old enemy (that he's never actually met before? Really...?) which immediately raises even more questions about this island (once you see what else Conan has to face) as well as giving us a fight that I suspect a number of us may have waited a long time to see. I'm always suspicious of fights that last for an entire issue but Aaron and Asrar combine well to give us a fight when plenty of twists and turns (nice work from Aaron) and comes across just like the violent grudge match that it is (well played Asrar, well played).

The first issue of 'King Conan' had everything in it that I want from a 'Conan' comic then. One way or another then, I'm in it for the duration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.