'The Legend of Vox Machina' – Episodes 1-3


They're rowdy, they're ragtag, they're misfits turned mercenaries for hire. Vox Machina is more interested in easy money and cheap ale than actually protecting the realm. But when the kingdom is threatened by evil, this boisterous crew realizes that they are the only ones capable of restoring justice. What began as a simple payday is now the origin story behind Exandria’s newest heroes.

Episode 1: 'The Terror of Tal'Dorei' – Part 1

Episode 2: 'The Terror of Tal'Dorei' – Part 2

Episode 3: 'The Feast of Realms'

I really wasn't in a state for anything, yesterday morning, (see yesterday's eventual post) and about the most I could stir myself to do was have a look and see if there was anything worth watching on Prime. I know next to nothing about 'Critical Role' (the people behind 'Vox Machina'), other than that it's a D&D thing on Youtube, but I do know that I love following dysfunctional groups of adventurers on drunken adventures (and I was possibly still a little drunk at the time) so I figured I'd give it a go. And I'm really glad that I did, I think I've found a new TV show to look forward to every week :o)

It's only the first three episodes up on Prime at the moment. 'The Terror of Tal'Dorei', Parts 1 & 2, introduces us to 'Vox Machina' and sets up our self serving 'heroes' up against a mysterious evil. 'The Feast of Realms' pushes the group into high society where they meet what I suspect will be a longer term foe while also showing us why Percy is so highly strung, and you can't help but feel for him, really. I'd say that these three episodes are more than enough to get to know the members of Vox Machina and their quest to settle a bar tab by searching for whatever is tearing up the outskirts of the kingdom, and perhaps sowing discord a little closer to home as well. Okay, the only actual name I can remember is Grog's but I'll get there... You do get a great feel for the group as a whole though, a bunch of absolutely feckless rogues who really shouldn't get along (and don't) but still manage to have each others backs when it really counts. I like that, there's a lot of scope here for relationships to be explored (with varying degrees of irreverence but also seriousness as required) and fun to be had in the meantime.

And that's the key here, 'Vox Machina' is so much fun; at least as much fun as our adventurers are having when they're not having to face down evil. The team may be dysfunctional as anything but when the situation demands it, they are absolutely awesome at destroying evil and throwing out sweet one liners as they do it. That's actually all I need from a cartoon, the swear words and references to sex are just a bonus. Early favourite 'Vox Machina' members are Scanlan (for bringing James Brown to 'fantasyland') and Vax'ildan (for taking 'ball tag' to a whole new level). My TV watching was starting to feel like a bit of a chore but 'The Legend of Vox Machina' feels like a real breath of (very sweary) fresh air. I just need to find out what day is 'new episode day' and then I can start looking forward to it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'Mad God' (2021)

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.