‘The Book of Boba Fett: Chapter Two’


For a show about arguably the coolest character in the Star Wars Universe, ‘The Book of Boba Fett’ didn’t get off to the best start last week; not for me anyway. While it did its job, Chapter One didn’t do an awful lot more than that and I was left wondering when it was actually going to get going and show us what it was all about. It has to be about more than just dream sequences and a slow meander into underworld politics… doesn’t it? Well, I was hoping that Chapter Two would make up for lost time so I settled down to watch it, this morning, and…

 It’s back to the land of dream sequences again but this time round, that’s not such a bad thing. Things are starting to build up to something interesting, in the present, but it’s in Boba’s flashbacks that all the interesting stuff happens with what looks like an attempt by Disney to re-evaluate the question of the Sand People and give us a new perspective on a people that, all of a sudden, are a lot more than pot-shot taking raiders who ride in single file to hide their numbers. These people were here first, with everything that entails, and now they’re being pushed out by settlers who like to take pot-shots of their own. Sounds like the people of this new ‘Old West’ need a lone hero to stand up for them and in Boba Fett, the Sand People have the hero that they need and deserve. He’ll fight their cause but more importantly, Boba gives them what they need in order to be able to fight for it themselves.

I’m not going to lie, I’m at a complete loss as to how this advances the plot in any meaningful way whatsoever. We’re only two episodes in though so there’s time yet (or is there… how many episodes are we getting in this season?) What I will say though is that in the meantime, it looks bloody cool 😊 I’m looking at you ‘train heist’ scene and yep, definitely you as well ‘rites of passage, brain lizard up the nostril’ scene.

Am I saying that I just want the origin story…? I don’t know… The stuff happening in the present is all build up, at the moment, and incestuous looking Hutt’s and psychotic looking Wookie to one side (who do look promising), there isn’t a lot to recommend the current storyline. Again, we’re being asked to give it a chance but it doesn’t feel like there’s a lot of time for that (unless I’m mistaken and we maybe get an eight episode season instead) and things need to start happening now. Boba is still cool enough to get away with it but not for much longer. I’ll be fair though, the plot around the Mayor of Mos Espa is intriguing and I wonder if there’s room for another surprise to be pulled on us there? I’m hoping that Black Sun are involved but that’s unlikely, I can dream though…

I can’t help but think that ‘The Book of Boba Fett’ really needs to decide what it wants to be, and then stick to it. In the meantime… It looks very cool but the ‘origin’ story is overshadowing the ‘current’ plotline and as good as the ‘origin’ story is shaping up to be, ‘The Book of Boba Fett’ will likely be judged on what happens in the here and now, and there’s not a lot of that at the moment…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘Alien Harvest’ – Robert Sheckley (Titan Books)

‘Green and Grey’ & ‘Waiting Death’ (From ‘Soldiers of the Imperium: An Astra Miltarum Omnibus’ – Black Library’)

‘Wolverine : Old Man Logan’ – Millar, McNiven (Marvel)