‘The Wheel of Time’, Episode Seven – ‘The Dark Along The Ways’


I know I have a habit of saying this about everything that I watch (at around about this time) but I’m here again and it’s still true… 😉 Where did the last six weeks go? It really doesn’t seem like that long ago when I started watching ‘The Wheel of Time’ and now here we are and the Season is almost done. I won’t go into loads about that here though, just click Here if you want to read about my thoughts on earlier episodes.

Right now, it’s all about ‘The Dark Along The Ways’ and what is at the other end of those ways, and just who is that following our heroes along the ways? And it’s all about what a show does when everyone watching it (well, pretty much everyone) knew the ‘big reveal’ way ahead of it’s revealing. As ever, I’m not going to recap the plot (Tor.com have far more patience and do a much better job) but I will more than likely be all spoilery here so be warned… Not that it should be a big deal, I’m assuming everyone has watched it and is gearing up for the finale, but better safe than sorry 😉

If you’re still with me, let’s go…

So last week’s episode was all about setting up the end game (for this Season anyway) and while we do see a little more movement this week, there’s still a lot of ‘set-up’ being done for the final episode this Friday. I’d say that it’s a good mix though of set up and stuff actually happening. Even in the ways, where people are essentially just walking from A to B, you get that feeling of things taking place. Characters are still developing and this development is causing sparks that move the plot forward. It’s also interesting to see how Mat’s departure is being handled. There’s a lot that I can’t remember from the books but I do know that Mat made it further along than this; I’d imagine that it’s not the last we’ve seen of him but watching Moraine start the process of letting the Red Ajah know shows just how serious this development is and that it must have consequences. It will be interesting to see if the show lets this branch continue growing or if they will work to bring Mat back into the fold.

And then we’re in Fal Dara which look exactly how you’d expect a fortification, on the edge of the Blight, to look; functional and very solid. I like that but I’m a little unsure about how easy it was for Padan Fain to walk in. It’s no secret that there’s something a little ‘off’ happening here and you would have thought that newcomers to the city would be vetted, or even followed themselves. Oh well, lets see how it pans out. In the meantime, what kind of ruler looks at the threats in front of him and not those from behind? Lord Agelmar Jahad of course. Yep, I chuckled to see him ever so subtly put in his place by Moraine.

And then it’s time for what is probably the most open secret of the show. We all know who the Dragon is (is there anyone out there watching the show who hasn’t read the books or found the nearest Wiki and spoiled themselves?) and the show has been trying to keep a lid on it anyway. Well, the secret is out and the show makes a decent fist of managing this by focusing not on the reveal but what it means, not only for the Dragon but for those left behind in Fal Dara. And I love a little bit of misdirection so that bit with people knocking on different doors tickled me 😊

And that’s it. We’re left on a little bit of a knife edge ahead of next Friday’s finale. Will Moraine and the Dragon make it through the Blight (which looks appropriately grim and horrible)? Will everyone try and catch up with them before they get to the Eye of the World? Of course they will 😉 Four more days to wait, lets see what happens on Friday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.