'The Wheel of Time', Episode Four – 'The Dragon Reborn'


It's a little bit late in the day but honestly, if you'd seen today then you'd totally understand why I'm frantically trying to get this posted before midnight... Actually, it wasn't that bad; I was just really lazy in the morning and left myself not an awful lot of time to get everything done. The fry-up was nice though, just what I needed ;o)

But having said all of that, I managed to carve out an hour just for me where I could sit and finally get caught up with the latest episode of 'The Wheel of Time', a series that I'm into almost despite myself and also a series that has seen me go out and buy 'New Spring' and 'The Eye of the World'. Now I just need to find the time to read them... But anyway. While we're all here, it would be rude not to take a quick look at 'The Dragon Reborn'.

The party has split up but everyone is headed in roughly the same direction, Tar Valon (I think, it's been a long day...) On the way though, everyone is going to have their own battles to face and someone is about to find out that they're better equipped for this than they realised...

It's been about seventeen or eighteen years since I read 'The Eye of the World' which basically means that I pretty much haven't read it, not with what I've forgotten in the meantime. I actually like it this way as while everyone else is comparing it to the book, I feel like I'm encountering it all for the first time and can look at it on it's own merits.

Apparently, a whole load of stuff, in this week's episode, didn't happen in the same way that it did in the book. I'm half planning on reading 'The Eye of the World' over Christmas so might have more to say on that then. In the meantime, I don't really have much of a clue about how true to the book this episode is and you know what...?

I really don't care ;o)

This episode works really well despite this. Everything and everyone moves forwards and we get to see Logain up close rather than at a distance while he is being take for Gentling (okay, there are some bits that I can remember). The various Ajah's are starting to take shape and we get little hints that all is not well in the White Tower. So, hints of politicking to come then. And we get to see Warders hanging out, and we finally get to see the Fade up close as Rand and Matt's road trip takes a dark turn. There is so much happening here and it all ties together perfectly. That's all I want from a TV show really, for it to be coherent but more importantly, for it to be fun. And is 'The Dragon Reborn' for me, it all hangs together and it's just brilliant when you have 'Dragon Logain' kicking off and his army banging on the door outside. The only bit that didn't hit those marks was Egwene and Perrin's continuing journey with the Tuatha’an. I liked it but they've got to do more than just walk for me to love it, I'm not there yet. And doesn't Leandrin look just a little too obviously like she has something else going on in the background? Just throwing it out there...

I wish I'd got round to watching 'The Dragon Reborn' sooner, it was a lot of fun and I could have done with that on Friday night. Better late than never I guess, now to wait for Episode Five.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

‘The Long and Hungry Road’ – Adrian Tchaikovsky (Black Library)

'Mad God' (2021)

‘Worms of the Earth’ – Robert E. Howard.