Movies that I watched this weekend...
Because every now and then, I get this urge to try and get my money's worth out of Amazon Prime by watching a few films that I left on my watch list and forgot about until now... Reading that back, that may be the most middle-aged thing I've ever written but lets just go with it and see where we end up.
It was a good mixture of films actually. Not all of them worked a hundred percent but at least I can say I gave them a go now ;o) Just some quick thoughts though as I want to get an early night ahead of what is going to be an 'interesting' day at work tomorrow. Here goes...
'Pontypool' (2009)
Shock jock Grant has been banished to the early morning slot on a small town station. A boring day turns deadly when reports come in of strange violent acts. It turns out a virus is infecting the town and no-one is safe, no matter where they are...
I loved the concept behind the virus and I loved the reasoning that buys the people in the radio station a little more time. It was just a shame that it all takes place in the radio station as there's only so much you can do with that and the movie dragged a little when it really shouldn't have done. Having said all that though, if Stephen McHattie ever becomes a DJ for real, I could sot and listen to his voice all day :o)
'Preservation' (2014)
Sean, Mike and Mike's wife Wit head out on a hunting trip doubling as a distraction from personal problems. Ignoring the 'Closed' sign and heading deep into an overgrown nature preserve, they soon find their troubles are just beginning. After finding that their gear has been stolen they realise that they themselves have become prey for a deadly group of hunters and must now fight to survive.
Now this was more like it although the film did signpost the ending far too early on and it really could have done with stretching out the mystery around Sean just a little bit longer. Once that was out of the way though, it was one of those films where I found myself opening new tabs on my laptop because the tension was getting to me and I couldn't watch. Worth a look.
'Feedback' (2019)
Jarvis is a star journalist of a successful London late night radio show. One evening, two armed men burst in and take control. Their mission: to shed light on a scandal that could spell the end of Jarvis' established career.
Ooh this one pissed me off. It's really good and I suspect that's why it pissed me off. I hate to be vague but watch it and you'll see what I mean.
This tale of Highlands Horror, on a Duke of Edinburgh Award trek, was just what I needed after all the tension (and anger) of the previous three films. 'Get Duked' doesn't take itself seriously at all and is all the better for it. One of those guilty pleasure movies where you can't help but laugh.
Comments
Post a Comment